SPS bleaching bottom up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

surf_buddy

Hi,

I have a few SPS frags that are bleaching from the bottom up, and on the bottom side of the branchs. The bleaching started well before the CA reactor I installed a few weeks ago. Also, I've noticed my blue legged hermits paying a lot of attention to them lately. They have been hanging on them at night ant at times throught the day.

My tank paramaters are good and as follows:

CA:450
ALK: 11
Salinity: 1.023 (slowly raising this to 1.025)
MG: 1300
PH:7.9 to 8.3 depending on time of day
Phos: 0

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

yup!
My recent frags wasn't getting light on the bottom of a branch that was mounted crooked by me. My light was so intense compared to what they were use to it completely turned white but slowly turned back to even a better color but the bottom is still completely white because it doesn't get the same light.
SPS I say give it time, I did lower the frag when I noticed the change but it was too late at that point, but it did work.

Could also be a flow thing. Sometimes the base will start to STN because its not getting enough flow, but since you say its happening on the undersides of the branches that makes me think it might be a light tihng too. Have you had any Alk swings lately? That always messes up my SPS =\

yup!
My recent frags wasn't getting light on the bottom of a branch that was mounted crooked by me. My light was so intense compared to what they were use to it completely turned white but slowly turned back to even a better color but the bottom is still completely white because it doesn't get the same light.
SPS I say give it time, I did lower the frag when I noticed the change but it was too late at that point, but it did work.

It could be a light issue. My bulbs are about 9 months old and could probably use replacement at this point.

Could also be a flow thing. Sometimes the base will start to STN because its not getting enough flow, but since you say its happening on the undersides of the branches that makes me think it might be a light tihng too. Have you had any Alk swings lately? That always messes up my SPS =\

Hey Jessie... I have plenty of flow, but prior to my CA reactor set up I had signifigant CA and ALK swings caused from irregular dosing. My thinking was that the CA reactor would help stabalize the system and I'd start to se my SPS frags grow. Maybe giving it time as Scooterman says will help?

One more thing, have you checked for AEFW or red bugs?

And yes, no AEFW or red bud bugs found.

30% then 20% them 15% every 4 days it should getting better,,,water change must,make sure sal and temp matched.

tamarindthai: I'm not sure what you mean here?

Any ideas as to why my blue legged hermits are hanging off the frags all the time, and is it issue for concern?

Thanks all for chiming in!

Back