SPS help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Matt, my salinity before was... 1.032.... I was told that it should be 1.025.... I dont even know how long my water params been like that. I was just using the glass floating hydrometer type...

I was also told that there are specied that survive with that kind of high salinity. And they said that it is better to be like that than to be lower than 1.023 which is more deadly than a higher salinity...

here is an example.
april 2004
sps_unknown_2004_04_april_a.jpg

and this one

nov 2004
sps_unknown_2004_11_nov_a.jpg

maybe a different lighting?

wow - there is a huge difference in that coral. i've never seen the green on mine.... seems like salinity would be a contributing factor to the color. i keep mine at about 1.0255.

you have had good growth on that coral though - just the coloring is off.

Here is the staghorn that we both have from Piercho.. the stag on the right..

Jan of 2004
sps_staghorn_green_2004_01_jan_a.jpg

notice the stag on the left....?
here it is now..

2004 october
sps_staghorn_green_2004_10_oct.jpg

matt,

this is the one you are asking about... the sps that we got from Anthony Calfo's meeting...

just got it from the meeting...
2004 February
sps_nana_2004_02_feb_a.jpg

2004 May
sps_nana_2004_05_may_a.jpg

2004 October
sps_nana_2004_10_oct_b.jpg

Matt, mine has red bugs. It grows nice dark purple tips as well as the new base. The rest is pretty brown. I have it glued to my overflow in a medium flow area and it seems pretty happy.

And some additional info....

I have a 3 stage RO/DI but never had a chance to use it... always use my single stage Omni GAC 0.5 micron under sink filter. We use it also for dringking...

Recently bought a TDS meter. And I tested it... here is the data...

Tap water (Renton/Fairwood Area)
tds = 40

After Omni Filter
tds = 40 (shoot... it is useless... maybe just collecting other waste or something....)

GLACIER from Safeway and Albertsons... 39 cents per gallon...
tds = 17

3 stage RO/DI filter
tds = 0

I will start using now my RO/DI...it is just a pain to wait for it because it is soooooo slow.... to collect a 5 gallon jar.

Katchupoy said:
Here is the staghorn that we both have from Piercho.. the stag on the right..

Jan of 2004

notice the stag on the left....?
here it is now..

2004 october
ok that is exactly what mine looks like.....kinda white/tan with green polyps. i lost my original colony but the frag i have of it is growing nicely.

big t said:
Matt, mine has red bugs. It grows nice dark purple tips as well as the new base. The rest is pretty brown. I have it glued to my overflow in a medium flow area and it seems pretty happy.
ok then maybe the color if mine isn't all that wrong once it grows a little more.

thanks for all the information.

merry christmas!

Katchupoy said:
And some additional info....

I have a 3 stage RO/DI but never had a chance to use it... always use my single stage Omni GAC 0.5 micron under sink filter. We use it also for dringking...

Recently bought a TDS meter. And I tested it... here is the data...

Tap water (Renton/Fairwood Area)
tds = 40

After Omni Filter
tds = 40 (shoot... it is useless... maybe just collecting other waste or something....)

GLACIER from Safeway and Albertsons... 39 cents per gallon...
tds = 17

3 stage RO/DI filter
tds = 0

I will start using now my RO/DI...it is just a pain to wait for it because it is soooooo slow.... to collect a 5 gallon jar.
warm up your incoming water and you'll be surprised how quickly it'll produce more water.

i'd definitely start using RO/DI water. you are probably putting phosphates and other crap into your tank.

Back