SPS Lighting / digita

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mungus

I got two digita frags from a fellow reefer here in Wisconsin. I have never attempted to keep any sps in my tank before other than some sort of encrusting SPS that came on rock a with some other corals.
I have dual 150 DE MH in a reef optix III reflector and 2 110 watt attinic VHO's. MH are on 8 hours a day.

1. Should I extend the photo period of the MH's?

2. Do I have enought light to keeps these corals? (They are close to the surface)

3. How long will it take to tell if my lighting is sufficent?

TIA
the SPS newbie

Welcome to the SPS world. It will be fun...exciting...and disappointing all on the same ride:shock: . Digis are VERY easy to keep. You have enough lighting and i wouldn't change the photoperiod either. These particular sps will take timex abuse and still hang in there. About having them near the surface, how large is your tank?? There are some buddies of mine that grow them under strong pc lighting and the sit right on the bottom.

I have 3 different types of digis. They by far are the fastest growing sps...period. i have them under 250 watt 14K coralvue. This particular tank had some param issues for a while. All the acros had to be removed....the scroll turned from brown to white....but the digis kept growing! I was truly amazed. I really don't think you have anything to worry about. The better you keep your water params the faster they will grow.

Good Luck!!:razz:

tike666 said:
About having them near the surface, how large is your tank??
Thanks for the response.
I have a 75 gallon. So far they are looking pretty good all the polyps are extended and they appear to be happy
I wasn't actually expecting to get these. I went to vist a guy about some leathers and ended up walking out with about $300 worth of various corals. Cost me all of $15:D

hey mungus...where are you in WI? Just a fellow Wisconsinite asking...=P

Sorry Specsgirl for the delayed response. I haven't been online much lately. I live in the huge village of Oostburg. It's about 10 mins south of Sheboygan on I-43 or about 40 mins north of Milwaukee. Where are you located?

Brian

lol...in the middle of nowhere. Actually I'm in Tomahawk. Which is about 40 min north of Wausau.

specsgirl said:
lol...in the middle of nowhere. Actually I'm in Tomahawk. Which is about 40 min north of Wausau.

Lucky!!! What it is that like 30 mins to Dr Foster & Smith / Live Aquaria? :) Have you been to the new aquaculture facility yet? Maybe I'll catch ya at their frag swap next year.

Brian

lol....I've been there. I'm lucky that my other half works in Rhinelander so I'm there everyday. I frequent their retail store quite often.

Hey specsgirl, I'll move up there and be your neighbor if you find me a job. I'll even let you ride with me to the fish store. Must be nice to live that close to the dr's. :d

Back