SPS lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

AussieReefer

hello im currently designing a reef set up to hold most sps corals
it will be a 4x2x2 would 2x 250w aqua medic metal halides with t5's be acceptable

or would 400w be the path to take.,

id rather take the tank to 4x18x2 would this be capable of SPS with 2x250w?

I have a 4 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot tank, and run 2 250W metal halides. Works just fine!

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Hello,
It depends on the height of live rock. For high light SPS corals to maintain good coloration (not growth) you would need to have them 12-18" from the lights. This is especially true if you use high kelvin rated bulbs (14,000K - 20,000K). So rock work 12-14" high would meet this criteria with the lights mounted 6-9" above the water surface.

I believe the lights you are referring to are HQI DE bulbs which are preferred over mogul mount type as they produce more PAR.

Personally I always use 400W bulbs as there is little price difference and coral placement can be more flexible. I also prefer less rock (about 25% of tank height) as it allows for larger/taller colonies. Most LPS corals will need to be on the sand bed or shaded with 400Wers or they will be slightly bleached/translucent looking.

Another note: A 24" wide tank will utilize halide lighting systems better whether you go with 250W or 400W bulbs.

Cheers,
Kevin

Charlie - If you know of any aliens to abduct me, then please send them my way!

Calgon, take me awaaaay!!! (ok, now I feel really old because a calgon reference was used).

Charlie - If you know of any aliens to abduct me, then please send them my way!

Calgon, take me awaaaay!!! (ok, now I feel really old because a calgon reference was used).

We do have a few wandering around here occasionally.......................... Good Lord...................Calgon???????? Now I feel old too!

Ok, not to hijack this thread, but to add to it: How high are people keeping their lights off the top of the water?

I'm running a 2 X 250watt setup that is over my 80 (50X20X20 w/ 2" sand bed) and the lights are about 5" off the top of the water. I'm thinking that I may have them too close and I'm considering hanging the light from the ceiling so that it's more like 8"-10" off the top of the water. One thing that leads me to think they may be too close is that a Plum Crazy Acro I have has lightened up a little but that could be from going from the 20K's over the frag tank at Barrier to my 14K's at home.

thoughts?

ok, looks like Kevin answered this. I should try reading the whole thread next time :rolleyes:

"For high light SPS corals to maintain good coloration (not growth) you would need to have them 12-18" from the lights. This is especially true if you use high kelvin rated bulbs (14,000K - 20,000K). So rock work 12-14" high would meet this criteria with the lights mounted 6-9" above the water surface."

Last edited:
Thanks Charlie. I just ordered a hanging kit from Marine Depot so I'm hoping this will help out a bit.

scooterman is right about the 2 mh being sufficient but to make them really pop, it is good to use actinics.

I'm running just a sunpod halide 20k is that enought light for sps??? Or should I run a extra t5 atinic along with it????

Need more info. Like your tank dimensions and wattage of the halide.
For example, if your light is 250 watts and is 4 inches off the top of a 20 gallon tank, then you probably have to much light. Or the opposite, a single 250 watt light on a 180 gallon tank would not be enough.

Need more info. Like your tank dimensions and wattage of the halide.
For example, if your light is 250 watts and is 4 inches off the top of a 20 gallon tank, then you probably have to much light. Or the opposite, a single 250 watt light on a 180 gallon tank would not be enough.

True under those specs, but it is more about coverage in those cases. A 400 over a 20 gal tank with corals 8 inches below is no different than 8 inches under in a 200 gal tank. Same light output. And if I remember correctly, a single 400 has more umph than a 250 and 150 side by side in the same reflector.

Oh, and I need another post to get to 50 so that I can reply on an item I posted for sale last week. This post makes 50! Gotta love it when they change the rules after you post something for sale so that you have to have 50 posts to post or reply in the for sales. SO TAKE THAT! BAM!

Back