SPS Troubles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rjarnold

Frogfish Aficionado
I recently moved many of my SPS to another tank (from a 75G to a 40G breeder). Most are doing just fine. However, my superman monti look-a-like (it's supposed to be a rainbow monti) is starting to stn (it's flaking bits off). I really don't want this coral to die and it's not that big yet. It was in an area of high water flow so I've moved it out of there and into an area with a bit less. Anyone else have any helpful suggestions?

Then there's this other problem. I bought an sps colony that had 3 acro crabs in it. They're cute little guys, and there's at least two different species sharing the same little colony. I hadn't had any luck in getting one to move to another colony until I put them into the 40G. Suddenly one moved to this purple sps colony in the picture. The colony then started getting pin-prick sized whiter areas on it. I took this to mean that the colony was also having issues acclimating to the new tank. However, tonight while I was watching the little crab, I noticed him *taking* little pin-prick sized chunks out of the coral and eating them. Umm? The crabs were just fine on the other colony. Any help? Photo:

acrocrab.jpg

Dont let those blue eyes trick you, he is a meany! hairy legs + blue eyes ->>generally a bad crab.

The only acro crabs I trust are the ones with the band across the eyes. Fuzzy crabs are more often coral eaters than not. (exceptions to all rules)

Then there's this other problem. I bought an sps colony that had 3 acro crabs in it. They're cute little guys, and there's at least two different species sharing the same little colony. I hadn't had any luck in getting one to move to another colony until I put them into the 40G. Suddenly one moved to this purple sps colony in the picture. The colony then started getting pin-prick sized whiter areas on it. I took this to mean that the colony was also having issues acclimating to the new tank. However, tonight while I was watching the little crab, I noticed him *taking* little pin-prick sized chunks out of the coral and eating them. Umm? The crabs were just fine on the other colony. Any help?

That's a gorilla crab and they are bad. They eat the flesh and polyps off acros.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16113

Brandy

Well that's a shame... I think the other single one I have then might be a true 'good' crab. I guess I'll have to pull these two off... If I throw them in my 10G non-sps tank, will they survive? IE, do they NEED SPS to survive?

Well the 'other species' is that first one - the 'good' one.

It's funny that you put up TB's 'watch out' guide, since I have a tank with TB stuff in it :p. I've had both stone crabs and gorilla crabs in that (expectedly), and neither of them look remotely close to this fuzzy little guy (nor did either of them harm the tube and cup corals in the tank). Not that that doesn't make this guy bad...but Florida Stone and Gorilla crabs are definitely different species than this one. I imagine that that isn't surprising since they're probably from very different locations.

Well the 'other species' is that first one - the 'good' one.

It's funny that you put up TB's 'watch out' guide, since I have a tank with TB stuff in it :p. I've had both stone crabs and gorilla crabs in that (expectedly), and neither of them look remotely close to this fuzzy little guy (nor did either of them harm the tube and cup corals in the tank). Not that that doesn't make this guy bad...but Florida Stone and Gorilla crabs are definitely different species than this one. I imagine that that isn't surprising since they're probably from very different locations.

The crab you included a picture of looks exactly like the gorilla crab I removed from my acros. They can change color depending on the acro they are in to blend in from beige to dark brown, are hairy, have black tips on their pinchers and blue eyes.

They appear more beige and less hairy when they're small, but still have pretty blue eyes.

I don't know what else they eat???

The crab you included a picture of looks exactly like the gorilla crab I removed from my acros. They can change color depending on the acro they are in to blend in from beige to dark brown, are hairy, have black tips on their pinchers and blue eyes.

They appear more beige and less hairy when they're small, but still have pretty blue eyes.

I don't know what else they eat???

I saw you called yours a gorilla crab, but the 'gorilla crab' I'm familiar with is on TBS's website...common names are terrible so they could both very well be known as 'gorilla crabs' but they are definitely not the same species. The TBS gorilla crab does not have blue eyes. Their growth is also quite different - this little guy hasn't grown much where if it was a TBS gorilla crab, he'd be 5x the size by now :p I'm removing them tonight when I get home :\

It doesn't look to be getting any worse right now, though it's already not so hot :\ Not sure if I'll loose it. There are two others that weren't happy with the move either (though they're easily replaceable) - the rest are doing great...better than in the other tank actually.

Back