Squid alternating current

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kidder

Was wanting some opinions on the Squid from people who have used them. My experience consists of a couple of flops. I had one on my previous tank (20 long) on the return from the sump and over the course of 6 months or so I had at least 2 failures. They would just stop alternating. Well, I now have my third one sitting in the box (a warranty replacement from the 2nd one) and am wondering if I should place it on my 90. Also wondering how much water they restrict, i.o.w. will I need to go up a pump size on the return? Thanks! :D

I had three of them hooked up on my 270g reef for over four years until i broke the tank down. I am now using one on my 65g cube and the other 2 are on another persons 120g tank. I thought they worked very well.

A sqwd can create a lot of friction loss. The 3/4 inch version is terrible in stock form. But they do work very well when clean. I have no idea how returnofsid has been able to keep his running, since most people have to clean them out about every 3 to 6 months. To clean them, I normally soak in bleach water, then vinegar water, then they work great again. Now the 1 inch version is much much better than the 3/4 inch. The 3/4 inch version has barb connecters with about a 3/8 inch opening in them, the 1 inch is female threaded. Plus the 1 inch you can open up the top to clean it out.

Kim

Probably the same way someone else in this thread used 2 of them for 4 years...lol. I don't have any tricks. Mine was used and already hooked up with1 supply hose, 2 pieces of exit hose and the outlet nozzles. All I did was hook it up to my pump and hang the outlet nozzles over the rim of my tank. Haven't touched them since.

I used one for months till I got my SEA swirls!
No problems!
They constrict flow a bit but you can dremmel out the inside a bit for that if your REALLY worried!!

Here is a step by step thread on how to mod the 3/4" version to make it work much better. In most cases, the SCWD gets detritous or debris (sand or LR shed) in the gears causing them to seize up.

scwd

thanks for the DIY link Trido. i have had the 3/4" version for about a year and a half with no problems until just recently. it was my fault though, i was cleaning out my sump and some sand or rocky debris got sucked in and jammed it. i should have turned off the pump while servicing!:oops:

SCWD follow up

I modded my SCWD similar to the mods on the last page of this link:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76847

I used a 2" ABS cleanout adapter cut shorter for the top. I used a tapered reamer to open up the outlets to 9/16". My outlets were a little off center so 5/8" would have broken thru I think. On the inlet I used a 3/4" FPT x 1-1/2" slip reducer bushing and a 3/4" hose x 3/4" MPT adapter. Glued everthing with PVC cement (except the threads). Works better than new with more flow now and is servicable thru the top. :cool:

Saved $35 for a new one plus had fun!

Mine is silent. Even though it's still working just fine, I am thinking about replacing it with a new one. Although I don't see any problems with mine, I've never taken it off the system and it could be constricting, due to build up. If I get a new one, I'll mod it before putting it into use.

Sqwd's are pretty much silent. You can hear a slight noise from the spinning gears but that is very very hard to hear.

Kim

I am running a 3/4" SQWD on an internal closed loop in my 30 gallon AIO tank. I have it plumbed to an older Eheim 1060 and it has been working well since September with no cleaning yet.

Gary

Back