Starting a 120 gallon Fish LIST

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

206ness

Hi Everyone,
Im new to Reef Frontiers & recently picked up a 120 gallon acrylic Odessa aquarium with a built in overflow, powerhead and cooling fans. So now, Im starting the research process before I get started on my endeavor. Im designing a refugium sump for it that won't be ready for another 2 weeks... maybe. I plan on using two 250 MH and adding 2 coralife 96 watt units with moonlights that already have. However, there's no live rock/sand/or saltwater yet. So my question is.... Can I have a Blue Hippo Tang, Lionfish, Niger/Bluethroat Trigger and possibly a Snowflake Eel in a 120 gallon to get along? I just want 4 fishes and some corals. Lemme know what you think Seattle. Thanks!

I believe the rule of thumb when dealing with aggressive fish is that there shouldn't be any fish that will fit inside any of the other's mouth. As far as lionfish, niger and eels, I don't think they are reef safe, so corals might now be a good idea. HTH.

Boy your going for some nasty fish right off the bat. I’ve had the snowflake eel and its nothing more then a pussy cat with other fish, even small ones, at least the one I had was and it was 1.5 foot and thick. Very messy eater and will require rock work to be securely fastened to the tank or at least in a way that they will not fall or tumble. Lionfish can also be messy, it depends on the type but they will not be nice around anything it can put in its mouth. Trigger are a beautiful fish, some times can have an attitude but that could happen with any fish. The hippo tang is an algae eater and as long as its big enough it should be fine. The trigger is probably the only one not real reef safe in the sense it may try to eat something you like. But it you keep them well feed most non reef fish will usually leave things alone but you never know for sure till you get one.

Id put them all in. it sounds like a really interesting combo of fish. You just wouldn’t catch me putting my hand in the tank

Last edited:
well having either personally kept or have accounts that I maintain at work with those fish here are my thoughts on the combination:

Blue/hippo tang: will do just fine in a reef tank all though they are pretty timid to try and mix with triggers and lions. Honestly I cant stand these fish as the LARGE majority of them i've seen hide 99% of the time, unless they are by a large margin the largest fish in the tank.

Niger trigger: Great fish, very resilient, active and adapts well. all though I would never even think about putting this fish in a reef. they will go after any sort of cleaner crew you put in the tank and I wouldn't be surprised if it went after corals as well

Lionfish: This entirely depends on the species you choose, I've seen dwarf lions kept in reefs more than once. Each time doing well but under a very watchful eye as with any lion they WILL consume anything they can swallow which usually equates to nearly the size of their head depending on how feisty the lion is. A "full size" lion such as any of the volitans or atennata's I would stay away from as they grow very fast and get huge.

Snowflake eel: I've personally kept one in a reef, my first reef actually that was over a decade ago. He did great, ate like a pig and pretty much left everyone alone. all though it was a small moray and a large one, especially a snowflake I wouldn't trust around crustaceans.

Last edited:
Through my experience I have a Niger trigger fish about 2.5 inches and keep him on a steady diet it shouldn't be a problem. Just remember some fish get pretty territorial when they get bigger. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your set up.

Back