Steven's Mixed Reef! (lots of pics)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Steven, you should probably pass on the seahorses for now. They have different requirements than your corals. They seem to like a low current well planted tank. Most require live brine shrimp feeding and they do NOT compete. Set up a seperate nano for them and add your pipe to it.

Yeah, I am trying to talk Candy into letting me setup a seahorse and a mantis/zoa tank. I was thinking a 20 long for the mantis/zoa tank and a 20 tall for the sea horse tank. That green poci is looking really good already. I was thinking of doing a photo gallery of corals that came from you and Tracy, since that is over half of the corals in my tank! :rolleyes:

I'm already jealous of your awesomly healthy and vital reef. Now I have to experience nano envy too? A seahorse nano full of live plants would be a blast. You can buy mated pairs with pregnant males on the internet for relatively cheap.

Hey Mike! Thanks for the trade. The clam and green poci are doing great. And the rose mili looks better than my blue. I will have to try and stop by to see your tank since you have had so many changes.

WOW, Kewl tank! Fish look happy. I am envious of your clam. The blue one.

Thank you for sharing pictures...they are worth a thousand words.

Thank you! That clam is now off to bigger and better things. It resides in Mike's 180(Herefishyfishy).

Please do not do seahorses in this reef. As stated before they need a low flow tank with special food requirements. Also they will hitch onto anything that they can including your corals which can sting the horses tail leading to other problems. Not to mention that the hitching can hurt your corals.

Also a 20g tall is not a suitable tank for seahorses. It is a bit too big if you are planning on doing dwarves and a bit to small for anything else. Try and get at least a 29 if you want to do larger species and a 10 or even a 5 gallon if you want to do dwarves.

Dwarves need to be kept in a small tank because of their feeding habits. They will not actively search for food, but wait for it to come floating by. If you try and put a few dwarves in a large thank the odds of the food floating in front of their face is small...unless you just totally fill the tank with food, but that causes other problems.
The best analogy I have heard is trying to feed dwarves in a large tank is like you living in a 10,000 sq foot house and trying to find a hamburger somewhere in that house everytime you want to eat. It just isn't pratical :D

btuck -good info, Thanks!

Here are some updated photos that i have been promising!
Left side
HPNX0376.jpg

Right side
HPNX0375.jpg

Full shot
HPNX0377.jpg

My new baby clam
HPNX0374.jpg

Seabae cave
HPNX0373.jpg

HPNX0372.jpg

Frog spawn, hammer and xenia
HPNX0371.jpg

HPNX0370.jpg

HPNX0369.jpg

HPNX0368.jpg

I have to show my other animals some love too!

My dog(Sami) and cat(Assassin)
HPNX0379.jpg

HPNX0382.jpg

My wife's dog(Brutis) and cat(Ivan Tedesco, my wife's favorite supercross rider)
HPNX0381.jpg

HPNX0380.jpg

I want that Sailfin! I would have to dial up the skimmer tho. Bet that fish eats alot!

Pretty, Pretty animals :p :exclaim:

Last edited:
WHAT?! is that thing in your tank that looks like Puff the Magic Dragon?
Shoot now I can't find it (story of my life). FANTASTIC PICTURES
Thanks,

Last edited:
Back