Storing Saltwater

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronone10

I want to have some pre-mixed saltwater on hand for my next water change or for an unplanned need. I normally pre-mix more than I use for water changes. I plan to use a water jug from a grocery store. Any problems with this? Tank size is 34 gallon Salona and I typically mix 10 gallons of saltwater but do a 5 gallon water change so I have about 5 gallons left over.

Thanks... Ron

The only problem I see with using those jugs is that there's no way to get a powerhead in there for circulation. Keeping stored water circulating is important to keep the pH stable. You could run an airline and bubble stone into the bottom of it, using rigid airline, and hook up an air pump. Another option, if you have somewhere to put it, is a 32 gallon Rubbermaid, Roughtote garbage can. Those have been tested by several advanced hobbyists and shown to NOT release anything into the water.

i use the 5 gallon colman water jugs. they are blue. been using them for 10 years with never any issues. just keep them in a dark area

I just began setting up 55gallon and found that Home Depot now carries 20 gallon Brute garbage cans. I lucked out when I went in and picked one up with a lid for $20. Well worth the investment, another great thing about this can is that the line where the can expands for the handles is a perfect 15gallon line(tried and tested with 1 gallon jugs) ;).

you might want to consiter something like this.
Picture327.jpg

this is my rodi.. but minus the rodi you have a rubber maid 35- or 40 gallon containor..

get your self a heater, and power head and a air stone.. fill it half way with salt water...

keep it dark for anti algae growth and keep it circulating the ph will drop from the light but once you get to that step then you can figure out l8r

Its alot easier and take up less space to buy a prop mixer stick and mix it as needed with a drill. Only takes 5 minutes to mix up 50 gallons and you only have to keep rodi water handy.

Don

DonW my ignorance has my curoisity going.......what is a prop mixer stick? I picture a paint mixing drill thingy???

DonW my ignorance has my curoisity going.......what is a prop mixer stick? I picture a paint mixing drill thingy???

A prop mixer is used for chemical mixing. Simple propellor on the end of a stainless or wooden rod. RHF or somebody wrote a decent article years ago, I'll see if I can find it. Boomer may have it handy otherwise I'll take a look through my library.

Don

so let me ask this.......some threads I read say mix saltwater up a day in advanced so that as it mixes, releases elements (ammonia) prior to adding to DT. So I have been mixing my saltwater and using a power head to circ and a heater to heat up to temp......does it make that much difference? otherwise ill mix prior to water change.

so let me ask this.......some threads I read say mix saltwater up a day in advanced so that as it mixes, releases elements (ammonia) prior to adding to DT. So I have been mixing my saltwater and using a power head to circ and a heater to heat up to temp......does it make that much difference? otherwise ill mix prior to water change.

It does, when using a power head you dont get the gas exchange like you would with a prop. A ph takes much longer because there is no vortex at the waters surface. The prop creates a vortex like a toronado forcing o2 into the water thus why it only takes a few minutes. Its nothing new actually pretty old school but works great.

Don

Just another thing I have to do now instead of the RO/DI in a 10gal with the heater and powerhead. LoL WOOHOO :p Always learning :p

I am happy to hear all the info I can, I want to learn this hobby right :) if a a prop is more beneficial Im in :) if mixing a saltwater mixing tank with a pump or PH im in. All I know is you all know more than I do :D

I have a 32 gallon container with a heater and power head to circulate the water. Is it necessary to have a air stone too?

Back