Strange X-10 Controller Activity

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hooked82

So I've got my Aquadyne Octopus 3000 controlling my system. Right now its just turning my lights, pump, etc. on/off. Well its been running fine for months now and all of a sudden, lights are turning on and off at random, some wont turn on unless I plug them in without the X-10 modules.

This happened when I hooked up my recently purchased used Icecap 250w MH ballast to an X-10 module and set it up to turn it on/off. I did hear a wierd electrical "hum" coming from the ballast. Could it possibly have sent signals to turn the stuff off? Maybe if there's something wrong with the ballast or something.
Hopefully somebody can help, I'm now back to turning the lights on/off myself cause as I said, random lights will turn off in the middle of the day and wont turn back on unless I take them out of the module and just straight plug them in.

Thanks

I use mine just on an X-10 system not part of a controller and get the same issue occasionally. For my set up anyway, it usually indicates the back up batteries (2 AAA's) need changing. As soon as the on/off times drifts more than a few minutes a day, I change them to avoid the problem completely.

this is a common problem with some informative threads on RC about it. I chose to use direct connect units instead of x-10 for this reason.

I also use noise filters on anything that generates noise such as an electronic ballast. The noise can cause very weird results like what you are saying.

Some power surge protectors filter out unwanted signals. Add one to your ballast and see if it helps control your problem.

You need a filter. Go to smarthome they will have what you need.

Don

So you suggest a filter for that ballast, or other "noisy" appliances? If you mean the ballast, how can I control the light with the x-10 if its hooked up to the noise filter?

Following along... I want to go with a controller but I am concerned about this very problem. I am running 2 ice cap MH ballasts and a 660 for my actinics. It sounds like an inevitable problem.

So you suggest a filter for that ballast, or other "noisy" appliances? If you mean the ballast, how can I control the light with the x-10 if its hooked up to the noise filter?

It'd go outlet -> x10 module -> x10 filter -> ballast.

the filter won't bother the operation of the x10 module but will only keep the noise from the ballast from interfering with x10 module.

Make sure that you buy a filter with amperage greater than what the ballast requires when the ballast first fires up.

Following along... I want to go with a controller but I am concerned about this very problem. I am running 2 ice cap MH ballasts and a 660 for my actinics. It sounds like an inevitable problem.

Most of the controllers have a direct connect of one form or another. Choosing this option is much more reliable than X-10. X-10 is fine for your living room lamps but IMO has no place in this hobby.

Yes the filter goes between the ballast and the module.

Don

Well I plan on straying away from X-10 in the near future and going with an automation setup like your's Don, but just want the lights to be on timers. I may just have to put them on regular timers until I can get the time to upgrade. I really started looking into your automation remodel and am very intrigued. May go the ocelot and secu route, would just need to do a lot more reading. Thanks for the input guys!

Hey Don, great links. I just shelled out for a LiterMeter III because the Aqua-Medic doser pump I have kept allowing a syphon. The items you link to are very impressive.

Hey Don, great links. I just shelled out for a LiterMeter III because the Aqua-Medic doser pump I have kept allowing a syphon. The items you link to are very impressive.

Happy to help. Those peristaltic pumps on my liks page are much cheaper and IMO better quality than the LM pump heads.

Don

lesson learned. :rolleyes: I passed that along to Sherman since he is looking to get some automation for his 2-part. The home automation stuff is cool too. Any suggestions for water sensors? I have a WaterBug for my tank room floor as recommended by Neptune, but the damn thing has rusted and didn't sound the alarm during my last flood. Had I had an alarm, I would not have had to vacuum up 100g of SW and replace some damaged components.

lesson learned. :rolleyes: I passed that along to Sherman since he is looking to get some automation for his 2-part. The home automation stuff is cool too. Any suggestions for water sensors? I have a WaterBug for my tank room floor as recommended by Neptune, but the damn thing has rusted and didn't sound the alarm during my last flood. Had I had an alarm, I would not have had to vacuum up 100g of SW and replace some damaged components.

I'm going to show a diy on this eventually but just havent got around to it. Water senors are a joke. The flood is never going to be where the sensor is(dons law), so it has to get to flood stages before the water hits the sensor.
I use a conductor tape. I'll get into more later.

Don

Back