Stuck ball valves

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Don - what did you end up doing?

charlie said:
I am gonna stick around on this one. Is there anyway you can get a good hold on the pipe and just tap it with a small hammer to loosen it up????

I think Chuck had something similar happen, but I thought his broke so he could turn the handle, but the inside part didn't move/close. He mentions it briefly in this thread: Let's Talk About ~Equipment Maintenance~. Anyway, I would be afraid by hitting it with a hammer it would break.

Nikki,

I ended up plugging the bulkheads from the inside of the tank. I got lucky there was only one rock that has to be moved.

Don

Nikki,

I ended up plugging the bulkheads from the inside of the tank. I got lucky there was only one rock that has to be moved.

Don

That's great news Don:) Now what do you do to prevent it from happening again?

krish75 said:
That's great news Don:) Now what do you do to prevent it from happening again?

Well its not really fixed. It just means everytime I need to work on the pumps I'll have to put in the plugs. The ball valves are now just for looks I guess.

Don

Well its not really fixed. It just means everytime I need to work on the pumps I'll have to put in the plugs. The ball valves are now just for looks I guess.

Don

Oh...Atleast you can work on the pumps now:)

Llarian said:
Muriatic Acid is kinda hard on a running system.

-Dylan

Oops, I must not have read it close enough. I've cleaned many thing using muratic acid before. I just assumed the valve was removed.

Ok so as of now we really don't have a good solution. I thought that on some of these valves they are lubricated, guess that grease wouldn't be a good thing but I thought I saw it on a pump once?

Back