• bb (with or without starboard)

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • plenum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

daytonaconnecti

if you have read my problem.i need to know what everyone would do in my shoes, clean my cc and water changes,or switch to a sb or a dsb

That is a question that could raise much debate here as some are BB freaks, some are DSB freaks, and some are SSB freaks(LOL) I guess it is a matter of opinion. I changed over from the CC like I said before because it had too many pockets IMO. The finer grain I like much better and if you are a person who practices good husbandry then a SSB or BB may be an option. You just siphon the hell out of it when doing a water change and call it a day. That's what I do with my SSB. That's what works for me, but not necessarily the best and only approach. Good luck getting sorted out...

Daytona, what exactly are you looking for? you have received terrific recommendations and step by step directions. just do it and quit tormenting yourself, you will receive so much conflicting info as krish75 stated that you are bound to become more confused. if you can not decide flip a coin.

Daytona, what exactly are you looking for? you have received terrific recommendations and step by step directions. just do it and quit tormenting yourself, you will receive so much conflicting info as krish75 stated that you are bound to become more confused. if you can not decide flip a coin.

His coin only has heads on both sides rugie(LOL) I guess he just wants to make sure he is doing the right thing. Can't blame him. I would hate to do something and regret it tomorrow...I vote for SSB!(LOL)

Bare bottom works the best for me. I have alot of tanks up and running, the easiest ones to to keep clean, the best looking fish and corals are bare bottom. If you really wanna make a easy decision ask someone with a dsb to stir it up so you can see what happens. LOL
They will say no. LOL
If you ever get a chance to remove a ssb, or a dsb or a cc substrate you will see something very interesting, a very large amount of extra nasty junk. The best looking tanks in my opinon are bare bottom.
If you insist on a substrate there is a whole lot of research to be done.
Particle size, depth, if you want a plenum or not, how do you plan on the rock stack, will it be on the sand, on a stand, on eggcrate?
There is a whole lot of research that goes into a reef tank.
I can follow someone elses instructions to the letter and fail miserably.
Every tank is different.

Probably the same for any size tank IMO. You'll just have to follow the guidlines to know how much sand for each...

thats what i was thinking, iam just at a place where i can go anywhere with this tank, iam just trying to use peoples experence and try not to make costly mistakes, i know you can learn from them but they can be costly...

My first tank had a 5" CC sand bed which was just plain nasty. There was a ton of nasty stuff in the bottom that stunk when I emptied the tank to upgrade to my current 65. I now use a 1"-2" Aragonite sand bed. It's really easy to keep clean and I don't seem to have the same type of nasty junk that accumulates on the bottom. Many people love BB tanks, but I just wanted the look of white sand without the hassle of CC. Good luck in your choice.

Here's a thread on different types of filtration. It might help you decide based on how each type of filtration functions. Let's Talk About ~Filtration Concepts~. How is your tank with equipment. I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, but when considering a BB tank, it is important to have proper flow placement, so you keep detritus suspended to either be removed by a good protein skimmer, or used by the corals for food. All substrate types have pros and cons, as you'll see in the thread I linked. Deciding on which is the best for your application will be the difficult part. Let us know how the thought process goes!

BTW - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I am a consevative and would suggest that you clean your cc thoroughly and not alow any dirt into your system. If you cannot achieve that I suggest a DSB and let it fester

IMO it depends on what you want too.
I have a semi sand bed and i think it's ok because some corals like it but i always have to watch out with the cyano bacteria, i do stir it sometimes and like Steve said don't do it :) .
when i was starting i had cc and i had a diatom blooms so i got rid of it.
Then i tryed sand from Home depot, that was another diatom problem.
i haven't tryed having my tank bb but people say that, it's the best way to go because the tank is cleaner, but you do have to deal with detritus unless you find some sort of way to make the flow go all around the rocks, there was a thread about that which i think you should read in case you haven't.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11172

I don't know if this makes sense, but maybe you can start out with a ssb or bb (if you are really eager to get your tank set up and running) because from what I remember about sand beds or setting up a tank in general (correct me guys if I am wrong) you want to aquascape first, then add the substrate around it. Not add the substrate and then put the rocks on top of that. So I was thinking, aquascape and at least that part would be done and then if you decide to go bb, your setup would be all finished. If you know for sure you are going to want some sort of substrate, then put in a ssb for now, and if later you decide you are going to go with a dsb, you'll just have to add more substrate to what you already have. Either way, atleast if you are really eager to get your tank sorted out, this way you could atleast get the ball rolling and get the old cc out if you are thinking that is where the problem lies in your tank...Just a thought. Not necessarily the right one, but thought I'd throw it out...Good luck!

ohh dood then my husband did it all wrong from the begging and i'm paying for it :shock: , well dood thanks for the info, i'm gonna be rubbing it in on my husband's face right now :badgrin: :D

Back