Sump Design

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

roverrange

I have gotten rid of the bioballs and am working on converting my CPR 2000 wet /dry filter to a sump/refugium. Any comments on the proposed setup? If you are unfamiliar with the CPR setup, the first chamber was where the bioballs were and water flowed from the bottom of the first chamber to the second chamber. I envision drilling holes between the two chambers to get water flow in the refugium.

I like it roverrange. Is the eggcrate platform there to protect the return pump from too much junk getting into it?

I would almost want to put a fine mesh over the eggcrate so that absolutely no macro's run back to the main tank. There's nothing more aggrevating than to find a little caulerpa growing in the crevice of a rock some lace in the main tank.

I would almost want to put a fine mesh over the eggcrate so that absolutely no macro's run back to the main tank. There's nothing more aggrevating than to find a little caulerpa growing in the crevice of a rock some lace in the main tank.

I can only imagine how frustrating that will be. Maybe a screen mesh may cause more of a problem though. For one it may slow down flow and secondly, it may trap too much junk and work as a biological filter in a bad way trapping detritus and having it breakdown on you, create excessive nitrates, especially if there is no easy way of getting to it and removing it before this happens...Just a though...

krish75 said:
I can only imagine how frustrating that will be. Maybe a screen mesh may cause more of a problem though. For one it may slow down flow and secondly, it may trap too much junk and work as a biological filter in a bad way trapping detritus and having it breakdown on you, create excessive nitrates, especially if there is no easy way of getting to it and removing it before this happens...Just a though...

Good thought though.

Good thought though

Thanks:) Any progress yet on your project? If so, and you have any pictures, post them if you don't mind. I'd love to see how it came out. Best of luck!

I converted my old Amiracle wet/dry into a fuge, but lack of space just drove me nuts. I ended up spending the extra $60 and had a custom tank made where I placed the wet/dry. I drilled holes on the wet/dry, put baffles n the new sump and called it good. Worked well until I tore everything down and put up a new tank later on. Those little wet/dry's make darned good refugium's!!

You may want to add a baffle in the skimmer compartment to keep the water level constant. Your skimmer will perform better if the water level is constant.

Brian

Back