Sump - HELP!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

muss60

Yesterday, we got home and found our pump in the sump not working; we think the power was out for a bit. When we re-started everything as we usually do, we found the pump wasn't working; we tested it, it worked fine - except for when we connected the flow pipe to it.

My husband thought we should fill the pipe with water (not an easy task without making a mess); but we did and the pumped worked! But then, while doing a water change last night, air got into the pipe and it stopped again.

We never had to fill it with water before; it would just start when we plugged in the pump; now it doesn't.

Any idea why????

I haven't personaly ran a sump on a system yet so I am not familiar with the pumps. However, I am curious for those who are going to answer muss60's question, do you have to prime these return pumps before use?

just took pictures; will try to get them posted; be right back

I'm not sure why it's not working but it looks like a Danner Mag drive pump.
That pump shouldn't need priming.
Have you tried starting it without the sponge on the inlet pipe yet? might be a little clogged.
and when you plug it in does it make any noise when it's not working?

If you're running the sump submerged, the "suction end" of the pump is always "flooded" and no priming should be needed. Might be something inside, making the impeller stick. Sometimes, the just stick and you need to give them a lil' tap. Danner pumps run very dependably, if a tad bit hot.

It might also need cleaning. Often Calcium builds up on the impeller and in the motor housing and need's to be removed by either a long time dipping in Vinegar or a short time dipping in a mixture of water and Muratic acid (bought at local hardware stores).

This should solve the problem.
:)

Paul

Thank you all very much for your help; it was the impeller inside the pump; we had taken it out and cleaned it all up (we do this on a regular basis); but there was a defect with the impeller itself. Replaced it and all is good again!

Thank you!!!

Back