sump/refugium design, feedback needed???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

prow

hey everyone. well i am revamping my sump. going berlin style. main tank has about 150lbs LR and 3/8" sandbed. will be building the sump tonite, i think. anyway i just wanted to get some feed back on it. this is a 45 gal long sump/refugium(48X12X18). i will be useing a sedra 1200gph return pump. a ASM G3 skimmer which has a 500gph needle wheel and will plumbed around the refugium area (so it reduces the flow within refugium, just not sure exatly how much). i figure after all the restrictions and pluming the refugium flow will be around 500-700gph. i plan on putting some LR and macros for photo and zooplankton, no sandbed or other media. latter might do a dsb or plenium in the refugium, if needed. so what do think?? see anything you might change? should i add a 4" sandbed or just leave it bare bottom with LR and macros?

see attachment for sump design.

Looks nice, I think I'd just dump the skimmer return right there but I see no harm in your design either, there is so many sump designs out there hard to say which one works better.

yeah i was going to dump the skimmer return right there but was not sure about the flow rate. my sump return pump is rated at 1150gph at 3'. i only need to go up that much. i have a few pumps but the next one down is a 700gph. not sure if that would be enough. i think i will just set up two gate valve mods. one bypassing the refugium the other dumping before it. that way i can play with it. would rather just dump it where it is. dont really like the extra plumping either.

how do you think the baffle spaceing is. 2.5" enough or should i go 3"?

Last edited:
cool thanks. just finished it. went with 3" spacing. now that its complete looks to be more than enough, which is what i wanted so all is well, thanks again.

Back