Sun Aquatics 14K

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RedEyeReef

Sun Aquatics 14K

Is anyone using the Sun Aquatics 14K? I just read the new Sanjay article in Advanced Aquarist and I really like the Spectrum on this bulb. It has a nice peak at 420nm (if I am reading this right about same as most 10K's) and a hugh peak at 450nm. Much higher then the Hamilton or Aqua Connects 14k's.

I am wondering how the bulb looks, how corals color look under it, longevity of bulb, and if there are any problems reported with this bulb?

I would like to hear good and bad on other Sun Aquatics bulbs too.

Thanks

Hello Redeye,
What did you learn from Sun Aquatics Bulb. I remember you talking about it at Kevins. I was just curious if you got bulb or not and what you learned.
Thanks in Advance
Ed

Hey Ed,

Nothing yet. I have been out of town and no bulb yet? I just haven't got caught around the house to follow up. :(

I need to get my hands on one of those... I have been kind of thinking of waiting till the 400w DE's come out to try one of those. :)

What have you heard about the DE 400 Watt Bulbs, Who is going to make them, and Will they work with the older PFO HQI Ballast?

Ed Hahn said:
What have you heard about the DE 400 Watt Bulbs, Who is going to make them, and Will they work with the older PFO HQI Ballast?

Coralvue's 400w DE and reflectors is suppose to be out now, haven't seen or heard of any yet. Sun Aquatics is planning on DE's and I have heard of a few others. I have been told by two people on RC that PFO HQI ballasts will work, and guess what I have :D

I hope to get 3 DE reflectors and new bulbs soon to try out. Kevin said he is getting some in at the store to see. More light and no more wattage draw then what I currently have. :cool:

Got my Sun Aquatic 400w 14K today and put it in between 2 CV 10K's. Nice blue hue to it. I'll report how it looks over the next few weeks as it burns in and my SPS adapt to it.

RedEyeReef,

I don't suppose you thought to take us a "Before" picture... so after your burn-in... you can show us the "Before" and "After" pictures with this new bulb???

LakeEd said:
RedEyeReef,

I don't suppose you thought to take us a "Before" picture... so after your burn-in... you can show us the "Before" and "After" pictures with this new bulb???

I did think about it but couldn't find the digital camera and didn't have the patience to wait (typical). I can say at after a few days I really like this bulb. I ran the bulb solo for awhile last night and my SPS fluoresce almost as much as when my actinic VHO are on and I still get the large 450nm blue peak similar to a Radium. Another plus is my Pink Bird nest and yellow SPS still show their color even when this is the only bulb on. (it is currently flanked by two CV 10K). If this bulb looks the same in a few weeks I will be VERY impressed with it.

Update.

If you want a MH to flourese your corals with big 450nm & 420nm spikes the Sun 14K does it. It really brought out the greens and blues on my SPS. More under this bulb then the CV 10K I replaced. I just moved it to the other side of my reef to see if my LPS color up like my SPS did. The Sun 14K is not very bright and too blue on its own, but when used with a 10K it is a nice bulb (& cheap).

I want to test a AC 14K to see if they are all they are cracked up to be. If they aren't, I may go all Sun 14K's and change my VHO to 50/50's to balance the heavy blue color, or alternate Sun 14K and 10K MH, no VHO.

Back