Sun Polyps ???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltydog99202

Clam Digger
I am thinking of getting some Sun Polyps for my nano tank. What are some pro's and con's of putting this coral in my tank??

As long as you realize that they aren't photosynthetic, so must be fed, and you're willing to meet their needs, there are no cons. Sun Polyps are great corals. Some publications say that they're the most photographed coral in the ocean! Some will tell you that they need shade, however, that's not true. They can be in direct light and it has no effect on them. As for feeding, each head must be fed in order to survive. Feeding a few times a week is important. There are special ways to feed them that will help to not pollute your tank from overfeeding. You can cut the top off of a water bottle, place the top over the Sun Polyps, twist off the cap and squirt in food. Replace the cap and let them eat. As soon as they're done eating, you can use a turkey baster to remove any excess food, before removing the bottle top. Another way is to remove the coral at feeding and place it in a bowl with tank water. Feed the bowl. Sometimes, after transport, it's difficult to get them to eat. Squirting juice, from frozen fish foods, at the same time each day, will entice them to extend their feeding polyps.

I have seen the 2 lt bottle way and I would be willing to do that but I am wondering if the nitrite and nitrate levels will be o.k in a small volume of water?? how long do they feed?
Thanks Mr. Sid

As long as you realize that they aren't photosynthetic, so must be fed, and you're willing to meet their needs, there are no cons. Sun Polyps are great corals. Some publications say that they're the most photographed coral in the ocean! Some will tell you that they need shade, however, that's not true. They can be in direct light and it has no effect on them. As for feeding, each head must be fed in order to survive. Feeding a few times a week is important. There are special ways to feed them that will help to not pollute your tank from overfeeding. You can cut the top off of a water bottle, place the top over the Sun Polyps, twist off the cap and squirt in food. Replace the cap and let them eat. As soon as they're done eating, you can use a turkey baster to remove any excess food, before removing the bottle top. Another way is to remove the coral at feeding and place it in a bowl with tank water. Feed the bowl. Sometimes, after transport, it's difficult to get them to eat. Squirting juice, from frozen fish foods, at the same time each day, will entice them to extend their feeding polyps.

That's funny,,, my wife feeds me that way Michael! -Just kidding,,,

that's a neat way to target feed specific specific corals such as the sun corals. I will have to keep that in mind, thanks!

The Nitrite and Nitrate levels won't change in the bowl, b/c after feeding time you put the coral in the tank and the water from the bowl down the drain. it takes a while for bacteria to break down food into Nitrite and then Nitrate.

I have a softball sized suncoral in my sump. Its a gorgeous coral, very easy to take care of imo. You just have to keep them free of animals taht will pick away there food. For my tank i put them in my sump as it was just to hard to target feed them in my display. They stay open 24/7 in my sump. The hard part is getting them to open up consistently to feed, once you get past that its cake.

I am thinking of getting it from kevin it would be a small piece for $40 I think it's a good deal, but I never see them at reef shops here in spokane!

there worth the extra effort to feed. I feed mine a mix of mysis and phytoplanton I use a turkey baster and supervise for a few minutes until it closes up on the food I gave it. if the fish try to peck at it I just run them off with the baster:lol:it works for me....
060.jpg

its easy cox him open w/ phyto the same time every day then feed mine opens at 4 pm daily he gets fed 3 times a week

I feed mine meaty food. Mysis and carnivorous mixture's. It stays open 24/7. Looks a bit yellower than the pic above and the size of a softball. I generally feed it every other day. Just squirt a bunch of food on it with a turkey baster. I've noticed growth on it but haven't seen any spawning yet.

I agree with others in saying that they are beautiful and easy to care for. Just a few weeks after we picked up our sun coral frag we started noticing little sun polyp corals all over the tank. We haven't bothered directly feeding the baby polyps that are scattered everywhere but they all seem to be slooowly growing.

Here is a short video I found on another forum from someone who was able to catch his sun coral spawning. http://homepage.mac.com/cwserver/iMovieTheater20.html

I'd love to pick up some the sun corals larger cousin, Dendros, if they ever come down in price.

Back