Supplemental feedings

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tahoe61

If I understand it correctly, clams that are under three inches require supplement feeding of phytoplankton, secondary to their nutritional requirements not being met because of decreased surface area for zooxanthellae to provide the needed nutrition.
What brands of supplemental feedings are the most effective, and how are they administered to the clam?
Thank you in advance for any help you can provided.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!

There's a widely argued debate on if that's true or not. More and more, experts are saying that NO, they don't need to be fed with supplements. Because they're smaller, their nutritional needs are lighter, and the smaller surface area of Zooxanthellae is sufficient.

That being said, if you do decide you want to supplement their diet, I'd suggest various phytoplanktons. Phytofeast is a good one, as is Isochrysis and other forms of phytoplankton.

There's a widely argued debate on if that's true or not.

This debate has been going on for YEARS! :rolleyes:

We did some test some years ago and not doubt that suppliment feeding is helpful but not necessary.

when I squirt a little "OYSTER FEAST" in the tank my clam opens his /her mouth and sucks as much water in as possible for about 30-40 minutes

Back