Surface skimmers/ overflow boxes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

boosted306

Would someone explain exactly how these work? I am looking into a sump now that you fellow reefers have convinced me in doing so. I understand that they are suction fed but how do you do a return? Any pictures are welcomed as I am not familiar.

FYI: I appreciate RF now that I have actively been viewing and posting. I have been on competitors forums and have had nothing but grief. I have gotten so tired of hearing about skimmers and skimmer modifications. Especially on how if you don't have 10k in all of your tanks you're not doing it right. Thanks guys and gals you are very appreciated in my book.

Suface skimmer (I think) IS an overflow box!
It skimms the water from the suface via gravity to a overflow pipe to your sump!!
most of the "GUNK" in your tank if the flow is good is in the top 25% of your water column!
So an overflow box houses the pipe or pipes to the sump and usualy a return from the sump via a pump submersable or external!

I forgot to mention what I have been looking at.

I am looking at 2 options,
A. CPR 90
B. Tom Aquatics

Which one of these would be best for me? I have a 29 gallon tall new reef. What will my return pump be? I would like to flow 3-600 gallons an hour. I know that 600 GPH seems like a ton but I would do that with a return with 4 splits to alternate flow in place of PH. I am thinking about fitting a 15 gallon DIY sump. All I want is a sump that will fit my skimmer and a designated refugium.

A CPR 90 will only do about 300 GPH (I THINK)to the sump so if you go 600 GPH return you gonna have problems!
I hate wier overflows cause of syphon issues if the power goes out!
I drilled my glass tank not hard to do BTW!
And I will NEVER have a syphon overflow again!

I am in Nashville Tn so you are several hundred miles away. Thank you though.

much better for the GPH you want in your sump return!
Also make sure you put ball valves on the overflow and return line to adjust just right for you!
And make sure you get the recommended "LIFTER PUMP" for those overflows!
$20 will save you a big headache in the long run!!

And make sure you get the recommended "LIFTER PUMP" for those overflows!
$20 will save you a big headache in the long run!![/QUOTE]

i learned this the hard way:)

So the Ebay overflow box is okay?

EDIT: Is there a recommended lifter pump for 600 gallons per hour?

If you are interested I have a cpr weir overflow with a brand new lifter pump that I am not going to use as I have changed my mind on the setup I am going to run I just purchased it from Adam about a month ago. I believe it is a cpr over flow and I drilled and extra hole so it has two 1" bulk heads for more flow down to the sump.

Brian

Yea but this dudes in NASHVILL TN
And yes the lifter pump is more of an "AIR PUMP" but instead of blowing, it sucks the air out of the top of the WIER overflow and also has a diafram to stop the water from going all over!
just go to DR FOSTER&SMITH.com and type in lifter pump!

Any lifter pump is good!
No set preasure or power needed!
It just sucks out the little bit of air that colects there over time so you don't lose your syphon!
Also works when power outage it restarts your overflow on its own! (I belive)

i would use a 6 or you can always put valves on your lines to scale back flow in both directions. you need to be careful doing it that way or you may end up with a mess on the floor

i need not type...
Picture3000410.jpg

the info you seek is here....

DSC02056.jpg

Picture3000614.jpg

since changed.. but thats close
Picture3000417.jpg

ah hell i gotta type...

anyway... the aqua lifter is a pump that just keeps the siphone going when the power is lost... Ive used this for 4 years never had a overflow.. and leak nothing... it really is solid... if you set it up right and maintain it...

i have the little aqua lifter pump on the shelf in stock, in caes... (you can not use with out)

Picture3000415.jpg

the prefilter is a good idea for saveing the life of your 10$ pump but will catch detritus, and cause the decay of your water quality.... thus i removed it...

you really cant go wrong with this...

just figure out what overflow your geting.. match the GPH and the head lag from the sump will make sure you dont over flow..

Im runing a cs90 with a mag 7.

and yes... that is windex.... (a very big no no)
but i was a young reefer and was lucky...

and now

Picture323.jpg

side note... stay away from clear tube... it will grow aglae on the inside and restrict flow

Back