Sushi's Nano Bow Build [13.3G]

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have 3 different types of wood I'm using.

1. the dense counter the is just below the tank.
  2. the thin paneling that is used for the drawers and the bottom
  3. the oak which is used for the front of the drawers and supports.

I have two ways I want to do this.

Black cherry stain
or
Teak oil

Below are the 3 types of wood with each stain on them.

the triangle piece is #1
the large panel is #2
The small block is the oak #3

Let me know what combo you like best.

Thanks.

PICS
TjxcBKql.jpg

r9btUCfl.jpg

R7h2SDUl.jpg

vLzsf3Pl.jpg

yZYFrDEl.jpg

qWMdulMl.jpg

g5HxICal.jpg

IewT9MHl.jpg

9Ii44ntl.jpg

7OS40ipl.jpg

4PQ35UWl.jpg

The end gran will be shown most on this piece

Y2CzXPsl.jpg

A lighter color for the draw fronts with a darker color for the top and bottom bordering it would be cool looking.

Got my order from BRS today which was salt, ro/di unit (4-stage plus), a heater, and a small pump.

I hooked up my ro/di only to find I was getting water pressure of 35psi :( it was a 4:1 ratio the wrong way out of the ro/di unit.

So i got on the phone and the city will be out here tonight to get it up to 55.80 which is the calculated pressure I should be getting per my friendly city worker on the phone.

he informed me that the water was gravity fed so he had to take the elevation of the water intake and my property then do the conversion to see the projected psi. pretty cool.

once that is corrected I'll be making some water, salt and fresh. :) can't wait.

The wood on the bow needs some more time to dry. I may actually need to bend it past the point it's at now to get the desired shape.
when I let it out of the clamp right now it just springs back close to the original.

uut6vt9l.jpg

Getting closer.....

I'm starting to feel a little bit rushed. I just got my sand today and really all I need to do is mix up some salt water and order the live rock. I'm sure I'm missing a ba-jillion things.

Soooo... i'm almost done with the drawers and the more complete it's getting the more I am not loving it.
I don't know... maybe when its up there It'll grow on me. The knobs are going to be switched out. I'm going to go with the original ones I purchased which were a brushed steel/aluminum.

I might also pick up a dark stain to hide the screw-ups that only I will notice.

I'll keep going and make the call once it's done. Won't be difficult to take a hammer to the drawers and leave the block.

Pics!

The shape came out pretty damn close.

RTZWjqMl.jpg

The scary cut.
zmjHypcl.jpg

The drawers lined up and in
VvDrtfCl.jpg

The supports I ended up using (So glad I did).
s6G3fJyl.jpg

jZq6UZGl.jpg

Hack job on the nailer
Whdy4yHl.jpg

First face on!!!!
OmEYvYjl.jpg

Toppy top view
wvAQG7Kl.jpg

Both in, cut and handles attached. lots of sanding to do. ugh
9tUrMMVl.jpg

The drawer sticks out a bit from the block.... don't know if I care.

Hi2rDcxl.jpg

rDJObIql.jpg

That's it so far guys.

Thanks for looking.
Oh I purchased a RKE. It's getting shipped tomorrow.

Can't wait to start on the box to hide all that stuff in.

Cheers.

Man that turned out really impressive. Your quite the hand guy. Buy the way i like the stain color choice.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Turned out really good. Looking forward to seeing the tank on it.

I like how honest you are with you pictures showing the "hack job with the nailer". Too funny.

Turned out really good. Looking forward to seeing the tank on it.

I like how honest you are with you pictures showing the "hack job with the nailer". Too funny.

Thanks, I'm very critical of not only my work but how a finished product looks. In fact, I usually try to fix something too much and end up doing more harm then good (which kind of goes beyond just my woodworking). :)

I've ordered 15lbs of dry Pukani rock from BRS and 10lbs of uncured Manado rock from Premium Aquatics. The heat is on now. Gotta get this base done before the rock gets here.
I ended up getting a dark walnut oil + stain that I'm going to use I think, I've yet to check the color but I think I'll like it and it should hide the imperfections.
One more day of sanding. I plan to have this stained and finished by Saturday then get the tank filled with fresh water on the stand to test for weight and surface skimmer placement.

I also need to finish up the acrylic piece on top of the tank, cutting out the area for the AC70 and the Kessil, then putting the feet on it. Dry run and finalizing on Sunday.

When dry rock gets in I'll start scaping with that and seed finish off with the 10lbs I get from PA. The RKE should get here next week so I think I'll have everything I need to drop sand in by next weekend at the latest.

Excited!!! :boom:

My general thought for aquascaping is a little something like a wave gas chamber (or tunnel) then a tower off to the side.

lPWiAG9l.jpg

YrhsBRwl.jpg

ZuJnCA7l.png

Teaser shots.

Finishing the staining tonight.
I'm back in love with it after this stain went on. Faith restored.

DqWNcyxl.jpg

khnsqfPl.jpg

update and huge photo dump. ~50 images

Finished the staining.
Finished testing full tank weight on the drawer stand.
Finished with the drawer stand.
Finished corner surface skimmer.
Finished equipment cabinet from Ikea.
Finalized lighting idea

First batch of SW is looking good. Starting on second 5 gallon batch.
I will finalize lighting tomorrow and take a rest. This has consumed me for the past month.

Here is the album if you don't feel like scrolling through this post and my commentary.
http://imgur.com/a/UGQhV

Finished sanding.

mx1M0UJl.jpg

J35rlOhl.jpg

The Stain + Oil I used

xqOC6yEl.jpg

I love it

EAU1vcxl.jpg

OMG!!!

w2IbHpcl.jpg

YhYYDF2l.jpg

1GMWwjsl.jpg

Jackpot! Every type of wood turned out great under this stain IMO. Completely satisfied.
bJG671Sl.jpg

Baz8zTal.jpg

ObXp1j9l.jpg

h8v6HAel.jpg

This is after wiping the stain. I gave it 45 min- 1 hour to site. the directions said 30 min.
Or1Y1k7l.jpg

W3RhGhsl.jpg

Love the way the oak frame came out

NsWdQmZl.jpg

Glamour shots ahead!!

gjxYH7Sl.jpg

1AqJCQZl.jpg

jdzH9Fal.jpg

GtP9MFKl.jpg

1bLkpODl.jpg

aS1bXaSl.jpg

nZqzMlSl.jpg

uOmeYV8l.jpg

1DrD8Mkl.jpg

SK27pQ9l.jpg

JtV0ceZl.jpg

On the mantle, under the tank.

TzqwEoWl.jpg

JxdUJs9l.jpg

Ikea run yielded great results.
Picked up the black lamp shade in the "as-is" section for a dollar.
Also got some rubber shelf liner to give a layer of protection from any water drippage.
iaS0pVgl.jpg

My mind is working.
ua8JzO6l.jpg

What to do, what to do.
Z084NRcl.jpg

Yep.... that'll look nice.
OJVcgN7l.jpg

Looks like good clearance for the spectrum.
dtw8ssKl.jpg

ORNqAk0l.jpg

To the Bat Cave!
ipZgjIol.jpg

Like a glove!
Fits perfect. couldn't have planned it any better if I had made it from scratch.

p0H14eCl.jpg

Looks great.
aDRFps8l.jpg

Finishing up skimmer
SoZAMqql.jpg

WpEkHBDl.jpg

Teeth ended up being not deep enough. But I tested it wet anyway.

here is the shelf liner i purchased from Ikea. I will use this for multiple applications.

7dJDninl.jpg

Here is the liner I picked up and I'll end up using for a few things.

QzNs1Wzl.jpg

g9VwXtul.jpg

Biting my nails

M7a2UWdl.jpg

Dat Seal!
t75zGBEl.jpg

Teeth not deep enough confirmed. busted out the dremel and almost doubled the depth.

I1KMrmFl.jpg

lVdMc47l.jpg

AC70 doing its job well.
bf1krbpl.jpg

iCe6r62l.jpg

Here is the cabinet I got, 8" deep and two shelves, they happened to be glass. which is fine.
I was going to hang this on the left side of the mantle between the tv and the tank but it was an eye sore. So I went ahead and put it above the fireplace light switch. not only will this block some ambient daylight from the windows but I also have another outlet right below for me to use if needed.
IknHK6hl.jpg

GY5SSagl.jpg

qNyHzrhl.jpg

BFTpeX7l.jpg

N3ZYRikl.jpg

Thanks for looking as always.

I'll update when the light is hung and lit.

Back