SWC vs. RO

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I pm'd mark for a price on a 180 cone, i m thinking christmas present to myself this year.

I picked up an SWC 200 from mark the other day, already happy with it. Its been running a couple hours now, and its already on the cusp of being broken in( I was expecting it to take another 20). The bubbles are right on the edge of that desired frothiness.

wait till it's been up for a week, you should see quite the increase in foam!!
your waiting for bacteria to cover the interior of the skimmer...
and that was actually the mini s cone you got. :)

What kind of bio load would the swc 180 manage on a 180gal tank? Who is Mark? Is he a SWC retailer?

Having 3 friends purchase SWC skimmers, me purchasing one, and a friend purchasing one very soon. I have not see a skimmer perform as well in years without issues. I love SWC skimmers, and customer service. I am definitely a SWC fan. I am looking forward to seeing my friends Mini S cone skimmer work on her 24 thousand dollar Cylinder tank.

Hahaha, sorry for the late pick up. I recently bought a 180gal tank and was thinking of using the (swc 180 cone). I'll take a look thanks!

decided on the SWC mini S cone. :)

Thanks for the help and the great deal on the skimmer Mark. (Skimerwhisperer)

Last edited:
After using the SWC Mini S Cone skimmer for one Week. I am very very pleased!!!

thank you Mark(skimmerwhisper)!

Big improvement!! It pulled two full cups of skimmate out for two days, then half cups and less through M-Sat. Sunday I removed half of the bio balls. The skimmer pulled another full cup of skimmate within 24 hours. Doctors says that some serious dark stinky stuffs!.... Skimmer works like Ali!

Sincerely,
Ed Hahn

+1 Ed

So far i m liking the Mini S as well. Did my first cup dump on friday and it was kinda wet because of the first day or two i was adjusting the wedge pipe but this batch should be a good one. :D

^5 Nate. I think you did good Buddy! Lets learn together how good of a skimmer they are! I am very satisfied with MIni S at this point. I am tempted to sell my SWC 250 A cone and buy two of these. Very small foot print and packs oh what a punch!

yep, the mini S cones are a slightly older design(like 2 years old),
but they really are great skimmers in a fairly small footprint...(10.5x10.5)
the design of the SWC 180 cone is better for sure, but there is a $100 difference between the 2, and they have the same pump and power.
the pinwheel and venturi on the mini s is improved as well for extra power and no start up issues(same as the 180)... so all in all a great deal for a nice cone skimmer that will handle a 200g, IMO(1200 lph air injection, and i usually recommend 600 lph per 100g of DT).

wait till all the new skimmers and products from SWC come out around christmas/new year... u guys will be pleased. :)

Last edited:
Skimmy,
If you think one of those Miinis will handle my 300 gallon tank full of goodies let me know?

thanks again,
Ed

Skimmy,
If you think one of those Miinis will handle my 300 gallon tank full of goodies let me know?

thanks again,
Ed

Skimmy,
You need to come to the midcolumbia club Xmas party. It would do us both good.
I want to learn more about your line of skimmers and I think the people in Tri-cities need to learn more about skimmers available.

Hi skimerwhisperer,

Do you thinking the SWC Xtreme 200 would be a good choice for my system. I have a 180 with a 55g sump/fug and will eventually make it an sps dominant system. Right now I have a low bio load and am also thinking for doing zeovite at some point. Thanks

Rhodes, we just need to move to Washington, then we will have a club meeting we can attend that doesn't just include the two of us! LOL :D
There are so many reefers over there they needed this site to keep them all in control!

Rhodes, we just need to move to Washington, then we will have a club meeting we can attend that doesn't just include the two of us! LOL :D
There are so many reefers over there they needed this site to keep them all in control!

I wouldn't mind. :) I was stationed at Ft. Lewis back in the early 80's and absolutely loved it there. I use to go diving in Puget Sound (saw Galloping Gertie), the Strait of Juan de Fuca, American lake and Crystal Lake. Used to climb Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Mt. Adams and Mt. Shasta (ok, that's CA). Absolute beautiful country out there. I even started my first salt water tank out there too. A 55g with an undergravel filter system!! I thought I was high speed when I put power heads on them. :D

Back