Swifty's 265 gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

=( Oh man. That is a bummer. That was a really beautiful Anthias too. Does Kevin or Barbie have a trap you could use? I would like to see a picture of this monster. That would make me so mad!

I'll try to get a pic of him up when and if I catch him. I pondered the idea of buying another trigger to just eat him and then take the trigger back but Kevin said it was a bad idea. :( As far as traps go, I don't know of one big enough to get him. I was going to use a spaghetti jar but its too big to fit in my tank where he stays and anything smaller is well too small. Harpooning him isnt a bad idea though! :) However, he hides under a rock ledge so it would be tricky. Maybe I will have to go fishing again?

Matt, I have some of those big gallon glass or plastic pickle jars I am using for culturing. You could use one to make a trap with if you think it is big enough. I have seen those guys move their legs so fast it looks like they can swim like a fish. Need a small hole to crawl into and not be able to swim back out with slick side so the can not crawl up. Check the hunting stores and maybe you could get a crawdad trap or something, your tank is certainly big enough for one. I know I have seen small versions of these, kind of like the ones on TV for crabbing. Just need to get the right food in the trap to entice it on in.

That would be awesome but i don't think I can fit a gallon jar where he stays. It may just have to be my center piece for a day or so though! haha I will look into the crawdad traps too.

WANTED-DEAD OR ALIVE! Here's a pic of him.
5472321298_b4124b8b4e_z.jpg

Here is the newest addition to the tank. I got him to help combat the aptasia problem.

5472322346_376cdda290_z.jpg

Well today I got my shaft for my Sicce pump. Kinda mad at FedEx though because they have had it at their facility since the 19th and wouldnt deliver it because it wasnt scheduled to get to my house until today. Other than that it was an awesome deal. $5 for a carbon fiber shaft plus $6 for shipping. So I got two just in case. Here is a pic of the old one and the new one...

5471894777_14f2fa1d74_z.jpg

Got my moon lights today as well. Still have some adjusting to do. I am worried about getting the wiring too close to my halides. So right now its right along the front of the tank. Just above the bracing that goes around the top of the acrylic tanks. So it takes away from them quite a bit. Also got my Reef Keeper 2 fixed too! It isn't pretty but hey for now its working! :) Just hope I don't start another fire!

5473072046_f207379538_z.jpg

Last edited:
Philip, I think it is time for some crab dinner!-Southpark I can't really see him too good, but I think I see his outline. I hope you get that little $*)* out of your tank soon!

So last night I was looking around to see if i could find my other mandarin that I just got and my stupid crab got him too! I just saw bones in the intake! I put a trap out last night around where he is but so far no luck. I have some raw shrimp in there but it has since got a giant gel bubble around it. I am hoping I can get him soon because I don't want any more fish to die or my tank parameters to go out of whack...

Yeah I wish I could but it would be a nightmare trying to get in there. Still no go on getting the little bastard. Any other ideas??

Well the day has come to where I have to sell my system off.:-( I know this isn't the right place to post this but I figured.it will get some visibility here as well. I know how it goes trying to sell the system as a whole but I'll put out the offer of $7000 takes it all. As far as selling stuff individually, livestock first then live rock, then equipment. I will list prices when I get home tonight. Thanks all!

Just getting orders soon so rather then waiting till last minute I figure I will get started now. It's a 84x24x30.

=( That really sucks Matt. I'm sorry. What about hiring someone to take care of it for you? I could do that if you still want to keep it. I took care of Jesse's tank while he went on vacation for a month.

Unfortunately, I am getting orders to move not to deploy. So my family and I will be leaving for a few years. Hopefully we will be able to come back soon but if not I will definitely retire here when my career is over with. Thanks for the suggestion though! It does really suck but I cant take it all with me at this point. I dont know exactly where I am going yet I am just trying to get a head start so I am not trying to sell everything off last minute.

What???!!! I thought you weren't going to have to move again!? This really sucks! Do you know where you'll be going yet? I hope it's somewhere warmer than here!

Well, when I first met you, you were tearing down a tank, because you were going to be deployed. Worked out great for me, as I bought your tank...lol. But, you came back and built bigger and better. I have no doubt that you'll do that again, in the future.

When you're ready, get a list of equipment and livestock and get them posted in the classified area. Since the upgrade, the classifieds are in a different area now. If you look at any page, in the upper right hand corner, you'll see a link to the classifieds.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

Back