Switching over to a Fish only

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Husker12181

I have had a 90 gallon reef tank for more then 4 years, but now my kid is 10 months old and I don't have the time to properly maintain it. I am thinking that if I switch over to a fish only at least for a while I can keep my tank and have the ability to maintain it properly.

My question is what would I need to do to switch it over?
Should I replace everything (sand, live rock, water, etc...)?
What about snails and hermit crabs, would I need them?
Should I get a fluval type filter?
Would I need to change my sump set-up?
What about flow?
Would it be easier to just get a new tank, that is more plug and play?
What other things should I consider?

Thanks
Steve

what equipment do you have now for your reef?

I wouldnt think you would not need to replace anything...

I would advise against a fluval filter..a nitrate nightmare waiting to happen.
You will need a good skimmer and proper flow.

what type of fish do you want?

I dont think there is anything you really need to do except let go of all your coral, if you want to do fish only. No reason you can not continue running your system with the same equipment you are currently using.
And I agree with NC2WA in regards to the canister filter.

But nitrates won't be as big as a factor for a fish only tank. With regular water changes it should never climb high enough to be a concern.

I disagree with the opinions on the canister filter. I've been using them for over 35yrs. Only time they become a problem (like with anything) is when they are not properly maintained. This means regular cleaning. Not the canisters fault ;)
There are several newer canister filters on the market that make caring for them a breeze. No priming, drop in a couple cartridges and go about your business. Nothing like the ole days-lol.

Anyways....being a mom myself (he's 22 now) thinking back when he was younger and thinking about keeping a reef tank, or just a fish only SW, sort of gives me the chills-lol. Kids have a strange way of totally consuming your every waking moment. You may find one of the two will become neglected and I don't think it will be your child :)

Good luck and enjoy raising that baby :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

It does get tough making the decisions on managing your reef vs managing your family each and every day. I've been lucky with my wife and two kids (6yo & 3yo) that they enjoy helping out with the reef tank and know the weekly routines for maintenance. Automation is key for my family and I! I agree that simply letting go of your corals while keeping all the essential equipment the same is all that you would do granted that your tank has been stable and well. At least now you won't have to dose or check parameters as closely as a reef. Well, I'm sure you'll be back to reefkeeping later, but enjoy your kid cuz they grow up way way too fast :peace:

Agreed, you can keep everything the same, and I'm with nana, if properly cared for canisters work great. Before I switched to a reef I kept a fowlr for two years using my cascade 1000 canister filter. I cleaned it every 2 weeks and never had a nitrate problem. Also, it was way easier to clean than my sump

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

I currently have a protein skimmer and I also run separate charcoal and phosbane reactors, I have a alk drip on a timer (which I assume won't be needed).

For fish i haven't decided i currently have a tomini tang, a pj cardinal, a coral beautty angel, and 2 clown fish.

My clowns currently host in some torchcoral what if anything could i use to replace that.

should I pull my rock out and bleach it ?

Steve,

Fish only to me means an uncooperative fish like a non reef safe trigger that eats inverts starting with motile ones (snails, crabs, etc) ie the fun stuff. In your case you should be able to turn the lights down or remove lamps. Maintence should go down like scraping the glass but the rocks and sand will be just fine. You might loose some corals due to light but find that softies actually thrive.

When I think of a FOWLR, I think of adding fish that aren't reef safe. I personally would leave everything the same, ie. sump, skimmer, reactors, live rock. I would only add a Fluval filter if you wanted to run carbon and phosgaurd. If you could maintain it on a regular basis, then I think it would work fine but with your sump and skimmer and reactors, you wouldn't need the filter. I would just remove the corals and your inverts and leave the rest like it is. Enjoy the fish.

Some of your corals like leather and frogspawns will be fine with fowlr fishes like triggers, harlequin tusk, etc...

For me FOWLR vs Reef Tank only means less light and no need to keep calcium up...... and a little more forgiving temps. everthing else is the same including keeping alk up in order to have a stable ph.

I would never trade a skimmer for a cannister! skimmers REMOVE doc's from the water column and airate the water. canisters trap detrius where it contiunes to breakdown into doc's and then will still need to be exported....usually through algea growth in your display.

Thanks everyone for the advice It sounds like I can pretty much keep everything the same with minor tweaking, the next thing will be cleaning everything up and selling some coral! Now I just need to decide if I will break the coral off the rocks or just sell the rocks as a whole.

Back