T5HO bulb lengths when installed?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MrGone

:)
I'm interested in adding some supplemental lighting to my tank and I am trying to figure out if I can fit 60" bulbs or if I need to stick with 48".

Is a 60" bulb exactly 60" long or is it more like 58" long and once you factor in the end caps it is 60"? My tank is 60" wide and the canopy sits snugly on top of it so if the bulbs are exactly 60" long or more then it will be challenging to fit them, but if they are say 60-61" long including the end caps I would be ok with having them slightly diagonal but I do not have too much wiggle room to play with.

I think ultimately using 48" bulbs will work better in this situation but want to explorer all my options. I currently have two 14w 24" T5 460nm actinics tucked in the corner. They are not powerful enough to really do anything for the tank but you can see where the lights begin and end when my yellow tail blue damsel swims against the glass (his color/design is extremely vibrant under them) so I figured all the more reason to try and fit 60"s. I'd also prefer running two bulbs instead of four next to the metal halides to save space and a little money come replacement time, but that means over-driving the 60" so I haven't completely decided yet.

Thanks for the help!
-Shawn

they will fit on a 60" tank. a friend of mine has 6 of them on a 60x18x25 and fit nicely in the canopy they are 60" with endcaps. only giesmann I believe sell the
60" T-5's

Sweet! Thank you for all the replies.

TheKraken, I was thinking about picking up some bulbs at Barriers sale this weekend.

I would consider the 60" bulbs special order as they are rarely stocked. The reflectors are absolutely special order as they ship from Vancouver WA and run ~$24 ea (+ clips).

Any of the good stores should be able to get them. If you do put together a group order I need 2 60" reflectors and at least 4 4" reflectors for new projects.

http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aqua/...bcat&title=Components / Accessories&pagenum=1

TheKraken, I was thinking about picking up some bulbs at Barriers sale this weekend.

Back