Tang police, I need answers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N1Husker

RF Staff
I am upgrading to a 90 gallon tank. I know I can put the bristletooth species of tang in a 90, but what about a Powder Blue? I love the color of the Powder Blue, but I don't want to stress the fish. It is recommended for a 120, but they don't seem to get larger than the bristletooth species. All opinions would be appreciated.

I say give it a shot. see what happens. I have 6 tangs and 5 angels bring on the tang police. I should note however though, my powder blue is pretty territorial

IMO, I think a 4' tank is a little short to house a active tang like a Powder Blue, long term.

IMHO a 4' tank is not going to be long enough for a powder blue long term. They are too active and too territorial :(. You could easily go with a Yellow Tang, Kole Tang, or any Bristle Tooth Tang. Although they are all a bit on the territorial side so I would only do one tang if it were me.

Not tang police but would rather suggest or see those fish above or a scopus tang in a 4' tank.

Well. I kind of disagree on the tang police not being here however, I posted a thread on here when I first got here 2 years ago, whrn I was new in the hobby and I got blasted. Anyway it was just a question and I have my answer, I will stay with either a Kole Tang or a Tomini Tang, but definitely not a yellow tang. I just don't think those are an attractive fish. Anyway, thank you for your input.

scopus tangs get pretty big too, up to 12". But I agree with yellow, tomini and kole tangs being okay in your 90. I have a couple tomini tangs, in different tanks. they are obviously not as colorful as a powder, but they are a very active tang and do a great job.
The larger tangs are why I went to an 8', 240 gal tank.

Oh I have a yellow tang and a tomini tang in a 75. they have been there for a few years. You will do fine with 2 even all 3 of these in the 90. IMO. get them small and let them grow up together.

Last edited:
scopus tangs get pretty big too, up to 12". But I agree with yellow, tomini and kole tangs being okay in your 90. I have a couple tomini tangs, in different tanks. they are obviously not as colorful as a powder, but they are a very active tang and do a great job.
The larger tangs are why I went to an 8', 240 gal tank.

Oh I have a yellow tang and a tomini tang in a 75. they have been there for a few years. You will do fine with 2 even all 3 of these in the 90. IMO. get them small and let them grow up together.

Thanks Lorrie, I knew the Scopas would get too big, they have a body shape like a sailfin tang, I knew they got big. I am seriously thinking along the lines of the Tomini. I like that brown color with the orange fins. I like the Kole also but I have read that some can get pretty nasty.

Earl,

if you plan on getting more than one tang, i would suggest you introduce them into the tank at the same time...otherwise, u r asking for trouble. :D

Earl,

if you plan on getting more than one tang, i would suggest you introduce them into the tank at the same time...otherwise, u r asking for trouble. :D

Hi Kirk, no just one, I am just trying to decide which one. It won't be until I get everything moved into the new house and settle things down and let my current fish get use to their new surroundings. I also want to quarantine him, being a tang, he might be carrying something I don't want in the tank.

Earl,

I can guarantee it will carry something you dont want in your tank....

Highly suggest u QT with copper for 2 wks, then keep in QT for 4 wks to make sure treatment was successful...Lee suggests tangs and clowns should be QT with copper since they are highly suspectible to MI.

Earl,

I can guarantee it will carry something you dont want in your tank....

Highly suggest u QT with copper for 2 wks, then keep in QT for 4 wks to make sure treatment was successful...Lee suggests tangs and clowns should be QT with copper since they are highly suspectible to MI.

Thanks Kirk, I will do that for sure. Maybe after I get everything moved and get all of my fish and corals settled in their tank, I will get the tang and put him into quarantine and start the treatment. Do you think a 29 gallon would be big enough to do a quarantine on a tang?

Do you think a 29 gallon would be big enough to do a quarantine on a tang

all relative....for QT, you need 5 gallons of tank water to 1 inch of fish....

what i would do know is get a sponge filter and drop it in your current tank's sump..this way it will be seeded and can be used in your QT..it is a way to stablize your water in the QT..otherwise u will have to cycle your QT.

all relative....for QT, you need 5 gallons of tank water to 1 inch of fish....

what i would do know is get a sponge filter and drop it in your current tank's sump..this way it will be seeded and can be used in your QT..it is a way to stablize your water in the QT..otherwise u will have to cycle your QT.

Great idea, I really appreciate your help. I have gotten past the excitement of wanting to hurry up and getting the pretty new fish in the tank. I want to make sure I don't kill everything in my tank because of one fish. I will try an take every precaution. I will go to wetwebmedia and read Bob Fenners article on quarantines again. Thanks again, Kirk.

Earl you should just get a purple Tang beautiful color. And I have a vlamingi Tang in my 92 quarter cylinder, even if I Have to get rid of it in a few years I'm still OK with having its awesomeness in my tank right now
huzyvebe.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Mac, my hackles are up... Don't wait until the fish is half the length of the tank before you find it a new home. I usually don't speak up on issues that would get the "tang police" riled up (see my tank), but a vlamingi has to be the single worst choice for a small tank. They grow very quickly and demand tons of swimming room.

N1, good decision. I do agree with Mac that a purple tang will do fine in a 90, but be warned it will be aggressive and must be kept as the only tang. The tomini is a great choice for that tank size, and though they aren't as in-your-face colorful as a powder blue, they are really quite beautiful.

Last edited:
Rea17, my tank has plenty of space still, he is not quite 4 inches and tons of holes and shoots through the rocks for miles of swim room, it is an awesome addition so far, I suspect I will have at least one maybe two more years before he out grows my current setup but by then I'm hoping of having a much larger tank, as for large fish he will probably only be accompanied by one or two more but that is still undecided....all depends on when I can get my hands on a purple Tang

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back