tangs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joe kirner

i have a 55 gallon tank and was wondering if ther are any breed of tang that are suitable since i think they get pretty big, but i reaaly like them but dont want to get anything that isnt going to do well as it grows to maturity

I think you tank is too small for any Tang, unfortunately. If you were to upgrade to a 75, there's 2 or 3 Tangs that would work; Scopas Tang, Yellow Tang, Tomini Tang. Even then, you'd want to upgrade to a larger tank, from the 75, as your Tangs grew.

A 55, only being 11 1/2", front to back, just doesn't offer a Tang the swimming room that they require.

I think you tank is too small for any Tang, unfortunately. If you were to upgrade to a 75, there's 2 or 3 Tangs that would work; Scopas Tang, Yellow Tang, Tomini Tang. Even then, you'd want to upgrade to a larger tank, from the 75, as your Tangs grew.

A 55, only being 11 1/2", front to back, just doesn't offer a Tang the swimming room that they require.

I disagree somewhat.
The Tomini will do well for some time before it actually outgrows the tank, they don't go nuts like the yellow tang until they get very large and this takes time if you start off smaller. The scopas & yellow tang will give you more troubles much quicker as they need that extra space rather quickly in age, the tomini is somewhat shy and reclusive, a completely different type of fish. If you start off small you should be able to keep this fish a few years before it becomes an issue. The important thing about this fish is proper feeding, you have to know what it requires to keep it healthy, so research is important for these but otherwise they are great fish to keep.

I'll agree that the Tomini is a great Tang to keep. Very mellow and rarely shows aggression, like most other Tangs. I have one, in a 200, that has never shown any aggression issues, EXCEPT, when I added an Atlantic Blue Tang. Then, it was on!! However, the aggression subsided, in only a couple hours.

Watch out.........
1-1.jpg

I had a Small Scopas Tang in my 55g for about a year with no problems. It all comes down to how big it is. You have to make the right choice to remove it when it is too large.

I recently picked up a Tomini tang and Wow is it a beautiful tang its max length is actually smaller then the yellow tang and he swims through all my rock work more then the yellow tang I had a year ago. I Love walking by my tank and catching his Orange fins dart by the front of my tank, it always makes me stop and look.

The Tomini tang is a grazer so make sure you always have some seaweed for them to munch on. This is pretty much true about the majority of tangs.

Steve

Back