Tank crashed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

I recently upgraded my ballast to a PFO 400 HQI from a 250. Today was hot and when I came home every single coral in my tank was dead. Except for two clams and a small hynophoria colony. I have lost close to 15 different types of SPS and a few LPS and all my xenia. I HAVE a chiller and it was reading at a cool 78 degrees. I put my hands in the tank and it was the hottest tank water I have ever felt. I tossed on the other thermometer and it read 98.2 degrees.

Ive never seen so many dead frags. Things had started to look up a bit too.

Always seems a little worse when it's a piece of equipment that does it.
If you screw something up. Atleast it's a learning experience.
That is just a waist.

Sorry for you're loss man.

:(

sorry to hear. I know your pain........I cooked 300 gallons of loaded sps tanks last year.....went on vacation and uppong return one tank was 100 even and the other was 94. 100% sps were lost.

Im back on my feet now.......

step back....make those couple little tweaks you couldnt do with a loaded tank and good luck. shoot me a PM when you are ready, pick up shipping and Ill send a care package your way to help you along

I hate to say this but in the tank that hit 100 I had a handful of clams that looked good for about a week afterwards.......then they went. I hope that isnt the case with you

What type of controller does that chiller have?

Sorry to hear that, hope you can get some survivors!

That sucks! Like DR said we are here for you when you get back up and running!

Man I'm just reading this post and I feel your pain. I've been freaking out at work the last two days worrying about my tanks. I've come home to 83 and 84 degrees respectively. Trying to get some AC. If there's anything I can do to help let me know.:(

Ahhh man, I'm so sorry. That really sucks!! When you get everything under control, let me know if I can bring you any frags. I don't have anything really fancy, but I've got some that is in definite need of fragging.

Thanks man. I'm kinda kicking around the idea of taking it down at this point. With all the money tied up in the big tank I really don't wanna start buying corals all over again... I really really DON'T wanna take a bunch of hand outs from everyone either. I love that people are so friendly and generous, but I hate to be a mooch or vulture.

Always seems a little worse when it's a piece of equipment that does it.
If you screw something up. Atleast it's a learning experience.
That is just a waist.

Sorry for you're loss man.

Yeah, you said it right. This happened so quickly there was really no time for me to respond, by the time I came home from work the damage was done.

:(

sorry to hear. I know your pain........I cooked 300 gallons of loaded sps tanks last year.....went on vacation and uppong return one tank was 100 even and the other was 94. 100% sps were lost.

Im back on my feet now.......

step back....make those couple little tweaks you couldnt do with a loaded tank and good luck. shoot me a PM when you are ready, pick up shipping and Ill send a care package your way to help you along

I hate to say this but in the tank that hit 100 I had a handful of clams that looked good for about a week afterwards.......then they went. I hope that isnt the case with you

Very generous of you to offer. Sounds like my deal is peanuts compared to your loss. I've seen pics of your tank and its amazing. I couldnt imagine how you must have felt.

So sorry to hear about this. How frustrating. Was the chiller just dead?

As near as I can tell, not dead, just not reading the right temp. I set it last night to chill the tank to 36 degrees. This morning it shut off as it thought it had achived its goal, but my digital thermometer is reading 86.

What type of controller does that chiller have?

Sorry to hear that, hope you can get some survivors!

Thanks Scooty. I guess the controller is just the built in one. No external controller or anything.....

Brett sorry for your troubles. Was the probe still in the tank? Bad probe or bad controller?This sure insn't an easy hobby...

Im not sure Mike. Its all built inside the box. I may send it in to see whats going on.

sucky bummer dude...very sorry...

yes, tell us about your chiller or controller...

Thanks Mark. Its a 1/10th hp pacific coast imports cl280.

Sorry for your losses! When your ready let us know, I'm sure we will all have something for you!

Thanks Todd. I'm going to kinda lay low for a while and lick my wounds before I think about taking it down or trying to rebuild.

Sorry....
let me know if and when I can help. D

your always very generous D

That sucks! Like DR said we are here for you when you get back up and running!

Thanks man!

Man I'm just reading this post and I feel your pain. I've been freaking out at work the last two days worrying about my tanks. I've come home to 83 and 84 degrees respectively. Trying to get some AC. If there's anything I can do to help let me know.:(

thanks man. one little trick that helps as long as your home and can baby sit is to float tupperware containers full of ice in your sump.

Back