Tank drilling question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What we're getting at is you can't supply all of your flow through one sump return pump, for most corals it will require other sources of flow as in PH's, a CL, Tunze Streams, Sea Swirls all in the form to move water randomly in key locations, not necessary high flow.

I have an All-Glass 125 Megaflow system. It isn't modified at all and I run a Mag24 as a return pump on it. Other than the heat generated with about 4 inches of a sponge on the bottom noise isn't a problem and the heat issue is being worked out with some fans I need to install in the stand. I'm really happy with the treturn from the pump but it is going up through both returns and then splitting into a Y type locline. So in reality, its pushing through 4 outlets. But I couldn't personally see going any smaller on a pump and I'm only pushing maybe 3-4' of head. I can post pictures of my new setup later if you have any questions about it.

i would like to see those pics...also, on the sump idea i found, they split the drain into the refugium and the rest goes straight in the sump...that will help slow down the flow and my refugium wont have a bunch of turbulent flow through it... i am probably going to start out trying my mag12 for my return...if it isn't enough , i will go bigger....i don't think i will have too many heat issues with this pump

here roni some old picture from my sump

18900082554.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
18900064923.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

so, mavgi, you ran one drain line directly to your fuge and the other drain to your skimmer??? how is the flow into the fuge???? is it slow steady or fast... i forgot i will have 2 drains....i will have to split them... i was thinking i only had one and i was going to split that one...i like your idea of running one to the fuge and one to the skimmer.

i put a valve on the drain at the fuge area (if i want i can control on the flow)

but i run it full open because i put on both filter bag and you don't fill the flow .i suggest to you to put union valve as you see in the picture at this way you can disconnect all easy in case you want to take out the sump or if something happen you will not need to cut the plumbing .

18912112358.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
that is a good idea....by the way, how big is your sump and do you have any baffles in it???

36"x18"x18" . yes i have 3 for the skimmer one for the fuge area .

the first baffle was match to the skimmer size after i left 1" between the 2 other then i keep as much as i can to the fuge area and the rest was for the pump .

in my sump i try to put the pump in the middle between the return line to get as much as i can same flow from bothe return pipe in the tank. and it's work great all the valve as you can see from the picture full open without any adjusting.

i may try to design mine like that... i might get started today...i can't cut the baffles yet, because i don't have my new skimmer yet...i want to be sure it fits

krish75 said:
Mavgi...I just wanted to say that you really do some neat work.:)

krish all the feedback here on my project go for you to nikki to marc and squidd from SF and i realy thank for all the help from all .

actually, i can cut the baffles, i guess i just can't place them yet...what are yours made of???

ronj said:
actually, i can cut the baffles, i guess i just can't place them yet...what are yours made of???

i use with the thin glass from home depot and here is the space : from left to right :

first baffle 14" the high 10" (you can make it 9") left 1" and put the other 1" high and then left 1" and put the last one. (all this 3 baffles the same high but the middle one you put 1" high from the bottom you can put piece of pipe 1" thick under and when the glue catch the piece take the pipe out and keep the other one.

from the right side ; i put the baffle 11" and the high 13" (you can do 12")
on this buffle i add after piece of egg creat with net on it to be sure that any creature from the fuge in the future will not go to the pump area.
(look on the picture)
pic.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
krish all the feedback here on my project go for you to nikki to marc and squidd from SF and i realy thank for all the help from all .

Cool...I've learned everything from here. My cousin came here Friday night to see the my new tank and couldn't understand how I figured out to do what I did(LOL) I told him I learned it from RF!:)

i may be wrong, but is that the end your skimmer is on...i can't see it, but i see lines going out and coming in..did you make your skimmer external???

well, i just saw your skimmer submerged in an old pic...i don't see the baffles though in the old pic

ronj said:
i may be wrong, but is that the end your skimmer is on...i can't see it, but i see lines going out and coming in..did you make your skimmer external???

no my skimmer in the sump . now the pipe you see some of them belong to:
calcium reactor , phosban reactor , uv sterilizer .lot of pipe and pump in this sump and this was one more reason i stay with the mag12 as main pump.add to this 3 seio 2600gph the total heat high and some time i need to put a big 20" fan on top of the tank to reduce the heat.even without the light runing .

Back