Tank turned 41 years old

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the brown thing is a PAVONA!

OK thanks, I am too lazy to look up the names unless I need to find out something specific.
I look them up when I get them but at my age, forget right away. :cry:

I fed new born brine to my tank as I do every day and I got in one of those moods where I had to put on magnifying glasses and take a close look at things. For some reason I am facinated by all the microscope life in the tank.
As I was watching the gorgonians eat the baby brine I noticed a different animal about 3 times larger then the shrimp. Then I saw a few more of them. There are quite a few of them.
They are definately crustaceans and not fish. The only spawning fish I have now are watchman gobies and I can tell these are not them.
The only other thing that can spawn now besides fish are hermit crabs.
I have had them spawn many times before and I know the larvae will not live but they are interesting to watch. They find themselves stuck all over the place to those serpulid worm sticky threads.
This is just another reason I find this hobby so facinating.

I was concerned that my algae trough would not grow any algae with the new LEDs I installed over the trough but although it took a while, the trough is stocked full of hair and turf algae with none at all in my main tank. So the thing is working fine.
I did have to install supplimental LEDs over the trough because the tank LEDs don't give me any "waste" light to light the trough. But the strip I installed is only about 20 watts so it does not add much to power consumption. The new tank LEDs are so much cheaper to run than the MHs were and the tank temp is about 5 degrees cooler that I have nothing to do anymore. I don't need to put frozen Clorox bottles in any more to cool the thing off, no more cleaning light bulbs or burning my hands on the fixture, no more buying $100.00 light bulbs or struggling to get my hands around the big fixtures to work in the tank.
Now I need another hobby to waste money and time on

I really need to do some massive re construction of this tank as the rocks are not where they are supposed to do. It is a huge job and it will take an entire day. I need to remove all the rocks and corals, after I find a place to put them, then the fish. I will then stir up everything and suck out the detritus with 3 diatom filters. Then I will give away the Dragon Wrasse and put everything back.
Before I do any of this I want to make some more cement "pillars" that will support the entire reef. The way it is now very little rock is actually touching the gravel but Ideally I don't want any rock touching the gravel. That is not going to happen as it is an engineering nightmare but if I can get the rocks to touch on only 3 or 4 places, that would be perfect. Some of the structure will be supported from cables above the tank and the rest will be on a few thin cement pillars.
I went collecting today and added a few thousand amphipods and whatever else was in the catch. I probably added too much but I never had a problem before.
I also added a bunch of pregnant grass shrimp.

I will be doing this cleaning/aquascaping job tomorrow, monday. I have vats all over the house along with tanks and mixed up water. 2 diatom filters are standing by for after I remove all the corals, fish, rocks, bristleworms, Loch Ness Monsters etc.

I will remove all the water except about 30 gallons, then I will stir it all up (with gloves on because of the huge bristleworms) and suck that out. Then I will add more of the old, clean water and stir that up and suck it out.

After a few cycles of that, I may lift the UG filter plates but it depends on how much time I spend on the initial cleaning because I need to complete this in one day as the next day I have a big job on my boat I want to do. I like to see what is under the plates as I have only done it a couple of times.

Also the fish and corals will be in small tanks and the last time I did this I was called away for a family emergency (my Mother died) and so did a bunch of my fish including a moorish Idol.

So I want to get these things back in the tank as fast as possable.

I built some new cement supports for the rocks and I will put everything back and run the both diatom filters.
I will also catch the 5" dragon wrasse to give it away to someone who can take care of him

It's a good thing I like to do this stuff.

I finished in just 4 hours. I didn't lift the UG plates because the gravel was not that dirty.
I was surprised. I took out everything except about 3" of water, then I stirred that up and dumped it out. Then I added some of the clean water that I removed, stirred that up and dumped it out.
Then I ran the two diatom filters with just a few inches of water so they didn't have much water to clean. After an hour of stirring and diatoming, it was crystal clear and I started adding the rocks. First of course I added the cement stands that I built previousely. Very little of the rock is touching the substrait. It is almost all suspended on cement pillars so I can see all the way to the back under the aquascape.
This is what I was going for. It is kind of flimsy in spots so I have to be careful not to move too much.
IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

Here is one of the rock supports
IMG_1165.jpg

All done
IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

WOW Paul, I'm tired just thinking about all the work that went into this overhaul whew... Turned out well and hopefully didn't confuse the hell out of your fishes to much. Looking forward to seeing it settled out with the fish swimmin about in there.

Cheers/Mahalo, Todd

Thanks, most of the fish I have are hiders. The large watchman gobi stays in the caves as do the two fireclowns. The clown gobi's rest in the gonopora's, the tiny pipefish like the back, the algae bleenies are looking for algae, but there is none right now so they are sulking. The mandarin is doing mandarin things and the green chromis are trying to find themselves. I removed the large dragon wrasse and gave it away and the old hippo tang is out for experiments (if his insurance covers it)
So I really need to put in some fish that actually swim around

Now that I gave away the dragon wrasse one of this pair stays in the front now. Ever since I had that wrase both of them would hide in the back. I noticed after I removed all the rocks that one of this pair is missing. I am not sure how long watchmans live but this pair I got as babies and I think it was about 10 years ago. But I am not sure.
They have spawned numerous times during that time and I saw the both of them a couple of weeks ago. The missing one could have jumped out but I never found her or she could have died of old age, but I would assume them to live at least 15 years.
I am just not sure. I know she was not sick because their last spawning was just a few months ago and my fish generally don't get sick.

Gobieggs006.jpg

My tank now is much too clean. Next week I need to go collecting for worms and amphipods. I will also add some mud for bacteria. I was at my collecting place today but I had a boat full of company so I didn't collect anything.
But I really don't like it this pristine.

Today I added a copperband and long nose butterfly. These have always been my favorite fish. The copperband is not in the greatest health, he has flukes and some wounds. It is not very easy getting a very healthy one of those.
I knew that when I saw him but I got a deal I couldn't refuse.
There are a bunch of local NY grass shrimp in my tank and the copperband thinks they are cleaner shrimp. He keeps hanging around next to the shrimp waiting to be cleaned, but they just look at him funny.

IMG_1193.jpg

I just felt like adding these pictures

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

I am very happy with the way my tank is running now. It has gone through many cycles over the years and now the LPS, SPS and fish all seem very healthy and there are no problems that I can see. These cycles usually only last a year or so and then something or other changes and either the LPS, or SPS gets in moods or too much or too little algae grows, flatworms will cover everything or an invasive algae will start to take over. Actually I do have a new, wierd red bubble algae but it does not seem to be advancing on much "yet". I find all this stuff amazing and never worry about any of it. Remember, it's a hobby and if it is not fun, or is a cause for worry, or if I can't afford it, it goes in the garbage. There are plenty of things I could go broke on, my boat for one and there are plenty of things I could worry about, My family's health but one thing I will never lose any sleep over is a fish tank.
Last week I added a few things. A combination shrimp /gobi, but they seemed to have lost each other in the tank. And a yellow wrasse.
There must be an abundance of bristle worms because I see them sticking out of the rocks in the daylight and if I look close I see large amphipods scurrying from rock to rock.
Brittle stars are having a hard time finding homes because all the real estate is taken up and they are on a waiting list. Today I found a large snail in my algae trough. I am not sure how he got in there but I don't want him there so I put up a "keep out" sign at the entrance.
This year I added a load of local NY grass shrimp which are kind of cool, but, unfortunately, they are clear so they don't add any color. I also added a dozen or so local mud snails which are free and are great at finding errant pellets or any othet left over food.
I have a grape coral that I got when a LFS went out of business and it was in terrible shape with very little tissue left alive. for about 8 months I have been feeding it every day with fish oil soaked pellets and about 3/4 of it is back to full health. I would imagine that in a few years it will re grow the dead portions. I got the thing for free so it is a win win situation. I also have been feeding the frogspawns every day with the same thing and they have almost doubled in size in the same time.
I have been experimenting with jell food mixed with fish oil and they eat it but it is too soon to know if it does any good.

No doubt Paul, When a hobby becomes a chore, it's not a hobby anymore.

Get some pictures up when you have a chance of those shrimp. You may be able to change there appearance with light. I will be using clear cardinals for my new display because of how they look under 20k radium.

Back