Tank turned 41 years old

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok so I have followed this thread for a long time and seen that the title is now 801 years old. I will now call this thread "the Tank of Methuselah"

I didn't change the title of the thread, even if I knew how. It is only 41 years old. It has a way to go to get to 801 and so do I

Well either way the tank is is obviously a testament to how long a well maintained tank can go. I am simply amazed at the care and the age of the tank, I think that I also seen somewhere that you perform surgery on your fish when needed to fix popeye or something like that. Simply amazing.

I took a couple of pictures

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

Paul, I've followed your thread on RC for a couple years now. Gotta say, it's looking as great as ever!

Getting back to aquarium stuff I have a problem. There is absolutely no algae growing in my reef and I can't even remember a time when this has happened. My nitrates are around 40 so I know there is enough nitrates, and I over feed due to so many fish.
The corals and everything is doing great but I can't figure out why no algae is growing.
That is not normal or healthy. I don't have any tangs or algae bleenies and I don't eat the stuff myself.
It's an inigma

I found some algae. There is one strip of LEDs that melted over my algae trough but I was doing some maintenance today and I found that the hair algae is only growing on the front side of the trough which I can't see from the front of the tank. That is the only part that the remaining LED strip is lighting. I would imagine if I replace the burnt out LEds it would fill the trough.
Now I am happy

I took some pictures. I also made a mistake and added a little too many fish, I sometimes just can't help myself but the fish will get over it. I wanted a school of cardinals and I already had two, so I bought two more, then three more, then I needed one more, so I have 8 of them. Real cool fish and they school. There is actually two different kinds, when I get time I will make a video of the school. They float around facing the current and grab baby brine shrimp all day, my feeder allows some shrimp to get loose all day so they love it.
IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

My pair of mandarins spawned last night as well as a pair of cardinals and my fireclowns,but they spawn all the time. I won't be looking for those mandarin eggs in this old 6' long tank.
I am glad the mandarins spawned because the young female was so skinny when I got her about a year ago,
IMG_2312.jpg

Back