temp question ez one

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

burning2nd

(besides my heater being in my sump)

its 82.6 degrees in the sump, and 81.0 in the tank.

why dont they both stay closer together? temp wise.

the sumps hot i guess cause the heater is there, but what makes such a lose it heat.

is it the shear volume of the main tank?

Could be that as well as you have a light over your sump 24/7 which could be making down there warmer as well especially too if you are reading the temp right under the light or next to the heater:)

I think it has to do with two things. How much water is pushing through your sump, and the volume of water in each tank.

Im sure theres a way useing phyics to figer this one out in a logical way.

me and my friend kyle were debateing it, he thought it would make more sence for the top tank to be warmer (but i explained) water doesnt act like air, and the transfer of energy in water is diffrenet then that of air (heat doesnt rise in water does it ?)

Larger water surface to air up on top will help cool that area quicker than deeper or down in the sump area, which is usually partially closed off to air circulation. Lots of things can cause this & it is normal to get 3 4 or more different temp. readings In your average tank.

Another thing that is generating some heat in the sump. Your return pump setting in there will also transfer some heat to the water. Chances are your heater isn't even turning on.

If most of your evaporation and current flow are taking place in your main tank and the flow to and from the sump isn't a fast transfer, it could explain the lower temp of the main tank. Aside from lighting issues, that's about the only thing I can come up with. Ahh just thought of something...obvious answer, you have fish in your main tank and not in your sump....fish are COLD blooded...DUH. J/K.

ya fish are in the main, and i remember when i started this way back

i use to go to a lfs and get free ro water. well i use to have the ro water in home depot buckets with my aqua c 70 power head, the power head use to warm the water to 80 for me.

i relize that the power heads the skimmer powerhead the return pump are all puting off heat, but why doesnt that heat make it to the main tank (u answerd cause on the open surface)

thanks guys

the heater does run it kicks on when the sump is at 82.3 main tank is 80.3 and then it shuts off at 83.5 usely (and the main tanks at 81)

something else but my hermits all molt at the same time,

its funny there all molting right now, (i can tell cause they crawl in to caves )

burning2nd said:
i relize that the power heads the skimmer powerhead the return pump are all puting off heat, but why doesnt that heat make it to the main tank (u answerd cause on the open surface)

That heat does get there but it is cooling off quicker than it can heat it up whatever difference it may be in the sump.

burning2nd said:
Im sure theres a way useing phyics to figer this one out in a logical way.

me and my friend kyle were debateing it, he thought it would make more sence for the top tank to be warmer (but i explained) water doesnt act like air, and the transfer of energy in water is diffrenet then that of air (heat doesnt rise in water does it ?)

Yes, just like air, when water heats it expands and rises. When it cools, it condenses and sinks. There is one weird exception to this rule with H20: when it freezes it expands again... that's why ice floats. Anyway, all of this should have no effect in your tank because the water is constantly being mixed around.

10 4 ill switch the stats and see what i get,

i just dont think (and i can be wrong and usely am) there should be such a large gap

i mean were only talking about a degree and a half, to 2 degree diffrence

WELL THIS SUCKS, my stat for the sump is off by 2 degree.

and i have the heater in the sump set to 83,

and its 80 degree.

IM gonna go get my self a nice "Won heater" i have one in the sump, its so eazy to use and its almost always right on.

nope one reads 81 and the other read 82 sometimes 83 touch the wire and its says 62

iv had it this heater blows

the heater i got im my sump has a nice little digital screen that tells you the temp its at now, a light for if its on and a light for if it has power EZ

this jager can suck

my

tank tank tank suck my tank!

IM PISSED im sick and tired of f ing with this heater. now its gonna take me 2 hours to make sure im not gonna wake up to find my tank at 90 degre.

Heaters suck!:p We need chillers here in the Bahamas (400 times the cost of a heater!) so I couldn't tell you what to do or what heater to buy...I'm sure you can get some great feedback here from the others on what is the best heater to use. Maybe you should start a thread about what heater is best :)

Back