Temperature Control in a Greenhouse

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The tanks I'm thinking of are 5 1/2 feet tall and made out of 2 1/2" concrete. Is that deep enough to gain extra cooling in the summer if buried 3 feet? Would it lose excess heat to the ground in the winter?

not likely (depending on ambient temps) and as per above:

for vessels not "... more than a few feet" deep

Open topped tanks, geologically insignificant scratch of depth in the ground... not much to talk about here.

Following along. What do people do for heating these tanks? In Pennsylvania, there winters are not eactly warm. So you cool the air to cool the tanks, what about heating? You only heat the air? What about heating the tanks with electric heaters instead of heating the air. One guy I know was having problems heating the air enough to get the tanks up to temperture. He even had his temp up to 100 degrees and still tanks at 70 and lower. His tanks were 2 300 gallon tanks, with 3 150 gallon tanks all linked together. Just wondering how to help this guy out. He had 3 1000 gallon systems in a greenhouse shared with a orchid grower, the greenhouse was probably 30x50.

Could having 1 large 1000 gallon tank instead help? What about having 20 1000 gallon tanks in the whole greeenhouse instead of sharing? Any ideas I could share with him. He is a great coral guy and would love for him to suceed.

thanks. take care.

its the same deal in reverse... the if the aquarims are large enough, they do not change in temperature up or down very quickly because of their thermal mass.

I recall many days in February in Pittsburgh when it was single digit temps outside but over 100F inside becaause it was a clear sunny day. Theres a reason why they call it "greenhouse effect" ;)

The tanks bank energy/heat by day and slowly lose it at night but the average overall is not a fast shift either way.

That said... heat is necessary. But like all facilties, you heat the air and not the water. Vented natural gas furnaces are the standard in the biz... they make them for hanging on the ceiling for GHs, garages, etc. OPil heat furnaces can work too.

Back