testing advice....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dezzydory

hi i am having a little trouble reading my water parameter tests for amonia and ph. i use the api master test kit. the ph is kinda a burgundy purple color looks like it could be a lighter version of either the 8.2 or the 8.4 reading on the color chart. the amonia test is a two bottle set. add 8 drops of bottle 1 then 8 drops of bottle 2 shake for 5 seconds wait 5 mins and compare. but when i compare it to the chart its a bright yellow not even as dark as the 0ppm colar indicator. it more matches the middle of the 0 and .25 of the fresh water card. but its salt water so now im confused. any advice to help set me right here. this is my first set up ever btw. oh and salinity is 1.023 temp is 77. sorry long winded. thanks guys!

Try using natural (window ) light they are meant to be read this way
My API test kit PH was always off all colors till I put it in natural light they the colors started to match up. :)

+1 for the natural light
it does work better
some indoor lightings is already very yellow and can make the tests look funny
I use the same kit and I noticed the color issue on the ammonia testing but what I found is if I just lay the tube partly over the colors you will notice the closest color will almost disappear behind the test tube.
Hope that helps

Back