Thanks Seattle

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

EricHugo

It was great seeing you guys, and thanks for the good turnout and discussions. Special thanks to Mike and Jesse and Renee and Bob for their exquisite hospitality. Looking forward to hanging out a bit here...looks like a great site. Congrats.

Eric Borneman

Eric

It was good seeing you again. Thanks for the nice talk you gave to us Seattle folks. I wish all of Reef Frontiers could have joined in.

And Welcome To Reef Frontiers. I hope you become a regular visitor here. Glad you could get registered :D

Hi Mr Borneman, Hey if I wear the pages out of your coral book, do I get a discount on a new one? LOL I love your book aquarium corals. I use it almost everyday. It is highly recommened anytime anyone asks. Thanks for what you have done. Keep up the good work. And WELCOME to Reef Frontiers. I am glad you are here. Steve

Eric,
I really enjoyed your talk. You made me wish I was there exploring the habitat of corals. You did the closest thing you brought pictures and described your journeys. I look forward to seeing you out in Washington again. You provided a excellent time!
thank You,
Ed (guy that was blinding you with camera, sorry)

Thanks, Eric, for showing us corals in their natural habitats. Sometimes it is tough enough just figuring which geographic location a coral came from, not to mention the part of the reef system itself.

My dream tank will be centered around an H. magnifica, and will have (horizontal) inside dimensions of about 36" by 60". Any chance you would have a picture or two of an H. magnifica in the wild, with a few of the corals that might be found in the same part of the reef?

Thanks

Thanx Eric,
Those pictures you brought helped with many questions I had about aquascaping my LPS tank.

Thanks everyone.

Don, H. magnifica is a surprise to me. In the scheme of things, it has a relatively soft column and long tentacles, which ordinarily you would think would be characteristic of an animal that lives in a more protected area. And, they can, but I most frequently see them in shallower waters thatn most anemones, often in only a few feet of water down to maybe 40 feet. They live on the reef, foot down in the coral framework, and tentac;es well expanded sometimes several meters across. They seem to love surge, and a lot of it...the whole anemone blwoing almost sideways and then back again. Many clownfish usually are found in them, not just a pair, but families. All the shallow water coral species can be nearby - Acroporids, Porties, etc. Of course, they clear out an area nearby with stinging. I would use something like the reefbox by Tunze close by the anemone, and some bright metal halides and I think you'd be close to magnifica heaven.

AH HA!! so you do see some use for the wavebox ;) hehe Honestly though your presentation was a huge help and a great learning experience for me to see where all of these critters come from and how they exist in the wild. Hope to have you back soon!

As always Eric, it was a pleasure. So good to see you back in our neck of the woods and great to see you here on the board!

Alice

Thanks for the habitat information. I was planning on some fairly strong alternating currents coming from the ends of the tank. A mound in the middle for the H. magnifica, and then angled walls on the ends (hopefully out-of-reach of the anemone tentacles) for appropriate corals. I was thinking of starting with half a dozen (or more) juvenile perculas, and letting them evolve into a pair plus "suiters in waiting". Tank would be viewable from the long sides, not the ends.

Part of a long-term basement remodel project.

Hi Robbie, Welcome to Reef Frontiers. If you are asking about the book I reffered to it is called Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman. ISBN 1-890087-48-3. Barnes and Noble or your LFS should be able to get it for you. It cost 34.95 at my LFS. Its a great book. HTH Steve

Back