The 240 is finally starting!!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

balogh03

i have am planning on setting up my 240gal(96x24x24) by the end of the week and thought that i would show you guys the progress of each day. today my dad and i have started the (oak)stand and i am hoping to have that done by tomarrow. i am doing everything that i can DIY in order to save money. i bought the tank brand new off of e-bay for $941 shipped to my door and i even have a liftime warranty as long as i own it. i will update some more once i have more to say, but for now i have ran dry.

here are the pics from today...oh yah, my tank is sitting on my porch still:p

View attachment 14700

View attachment 14701

View attachment 14702

Very cool man...Congrats on the new setup! So far everything is looking good. Best of luck with getting it all up and running and I will be tagging along:)

Very nice work man, can't wait to see it progress, may give me ideas while I make mine:)

are you just using 1x4's for support to hold it up??? i am having one built..i wasn't sure if they would be sturdy enough

are you just using 1x4's for support to hold it up??? i am having one built..i wasn't sure if they would be sturdy enough

I was thinking the same thing, but figured since the stand isn't finished yet they may add more support. My tank is only about 38 gals (24x18x20) and my stand is framed out of 2x4 and has 3/4 ply all around just to be safe. 240 gals of water alone weighs about 2,000 lbs then you have to consider the weight of the tank, rock, substrate etc.:)

i looked at the oceanic version for the 125g...it was made from 1x4's..i don't see how they can handle all that weight..i will probably use 2x4's, even though it will add some weight

i know, the pic looks like 1x4's...
this is the skimmy on the stand:
bottom-4 5/4" ribs w/ 3/4" plywood
top-8 5/4" ribs w/ 4/4" oak rim
sides-red oak 9ply plywood 48.5"x96.5"
front-red oak 4/4" S2S SL plywood

my dad builds custom cabinets if any of you remember this, he built it.
View attachment 14704

Last edited:
Good deal on the tank. I just got done setting up a 240 myself (shameless plug). Looks very much like yours except a black background.

If I were to do it again I'd like to have the coast-to-coast overflow, or maybe have the overflow boxes attached to the rear of the tank rather than taking up room inside the tank. Since I installed a closed-loop the tank is about 6" out from the wall anyway... wasted space.

Also I would probably do glass. I've already scratched my acrylic something awful. Yes it's heavy but come on, once you have it in your house it's not going anywhere.

day 2(3)

so i didnt work on it at all yesterday:( ....but we got it done today:D . we should bring it into the house tomarrow. i dont know when i will be able to get it running because i just ordered all the plumbing today. but as soon i get those, it is going to be full of water...

prepping for the finish&right after the stand had a fresh coat on it--
View attachment 14752

View attachment 14753

View attachment 14754

View attachment 14755

Sweet

Nice job man. You and your dad came over last weekend. Was surffing and ran across your post. Nice wood work. Have to come over some time. Found that site out of state you were telling me about, some nice stuff for sale there. Have to take a drive. Talk to you soon Keep up the WOODWORK.LOL:lol:

You could save some money for now by getting say the 20K bulbs (14K would work also) Then you really dont need any other lights. Just turn them on at different times 1/2 hour apart until all of them are on :)

I think you'll be alot happier spending that money on an auto topoff system with a kalkwasser reactor inline if it comes down to one or the other :)

Last edited:
yah, i ended up getting the 14k bulbs, but that is a really good idea to turn them on one at a time. deffinently going to do that.

It has been a couple of weeks...

after a long couple of weeks, and a lot of working both on the tank and for money to put into the tank, i have finally posted an update. i have another sump that will go on the other side of the 55 and it will make it a total water volume of about 300gal. i still have the 6ft hood on it, but the new one is in the garage being finished. right now i cant put very many corals in it becuse there is only 440watts. i am hoping to have the MH in by this weekend because i go back to school on tuesday and then i really wont have any time to work on it. i also just bought 100lbs of rock wich brings me to about 350-400lbs of rock in there(it is solid. i plan to get another 50-75lbs to fill up the corners a little more. pics are from the day we set it up and the holding tanks and then from today. oh, i forgot to mention that i had one casualty....MY QUEENIE(the one in the avatar):cry: i am going to order another one though.
these two are from today:
View attachment 15317

View attachment 15318
That night
View attachment 15319
We had those and a 125gal full of stuff
View attachment 15320

Back