The Creation of the 250

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cowgirldani

horses - koi - reef
Over the years, our 200 has had its up and downs... We hit a peak in early 2005, then again after we had to tear down the setup to fix the seams in the main tank. We did a good fixer, and it has lasted until now... After that, the tank was in great shape again in early 2007. Then, with the building of the pond, the tank sat in neglection... and went downhill. Never again will that happen!

sidewayview.jpg

P1010462.jpg

And here is a now -
P1050913.jpg

But, now the seams are ripping almost all the way through, and we would rather not have 400 gallons of water all over our family room floor. So, time for a new tank... And, knowing dad, you gotta go bigger! So we are raising the height of the tank by 6", but keeping the rest the same so we can keep the hood and stand. Some of you know that we have the rising hood, so that was taken off and is in the process of being 'operated' on to do touchups, and raise it up more.

IMG_1723.jpg

So, time for tank removal!! :D

P1060064.jpg

P1060069.jpg

P1060070.jpg

Some of you saw the rock in general forum, keep a look out because we have more coming in! :rolleyes:

More updates to come!

That is one sweet tank dolly. I need one of thoes.
Could you please post more pics of your canopy levitator. I for one would like to see the magic.
I hope you can find someone reasonable to build your tank.
Jason

I felt that it was time for an update!

So we got the tank removed, picked up another 280lbs of rock totalling around 500lbs of jakarta and vavau, did some plumbing modifications downstairs, and best of all... got the tank! This thing is a BEAST. Jason at Clear Fabrications did a great job. The tank is 62"L 30"W and 32"T. It is 3/4" acrylic. The footprint is the same, so we were able to use the same hood and stand again. The rising hood had to be adjusted so that it would be able to rise even higher to accompany the 6" taller tank. More details to come, but for now, PICTURES! :D

Before:
P1060109.jpg

After:
P1060149.jpg

The new reflectors and the hood being modified:
P1060110.jpg

Getting MORE rock! (This was Vavau rock)
P1060219.jpg

The cleaning station! :lol:
P1060192.jpg

This piece is one of my favorites, its a giant table thats over 2 ft wide and under 3" deep.
P1060199.jpg

P1060196.jpg

Got another box to go!
P1060214.jpg

Now this rock is a freakin BEAST. It smashed our scale! It weighed in at over 55lbs!
P1060230.jpg

P1060249.jpg

This was our first batch of rock, I believe it was 200lbs of Jakarta. This had so much coraline and life on it, was amazing. Zoas are still kickin it!

P1060092.jpg

P1060080.jpg

P1060076.jpg

P1060075.jpg

P1050965.jpg

P1060023.jpg

Last edited:
Cutting out where the front jets will be.
P1060261.jpg

P1060262.jpg

Jason and Dave helped out so much, they did a great job on this tank!
P1060275.jpg

YES. Its IN!
P1060265.jpg

More to come!

Last edited:
thanks for all the comments guys! I cant wait to get this baby running!

Oh I know it, couldnt have picked a better dude to build it. So pleased!

My mid winter break starts in a week for me, so Dad was going to take a few days off and we are going to get this running. Hopefully aquascaping will start that wednesday! Plumbing and lighting are going in all this week. Will definately be taking lots and lots of pictures.

Any aquascaping ideas? Im thinking of something really different... :rolleyes:

Are you kidding? I would NEVER hold out on you guys!! lol

its been crazy around here. well everywhere except for the tank area hahaha

but dad promises once the first levitator is done, we are booming into the tank. Im hoping to do test fill next week.

i saw the old tank,,history now

new tank oh yeah,,sound like it will be the great set up,,,
still thanks for the tour of your swimming pool ,,i meant huge pond,,great design well done and big friendly fishes.:)

dang, I dont remember for sure but I think since you have seen it we built the deck around half the pond. Rest of the deck will come around late spring, you will have to come and check it out again soon! Oh and it was great seeing flame at the store!

The tank was 6? years old. Would have to ask the padre to be sure. It was mostly for the fact that we had to get a new tank, and we just couldnt help but put the idea of getting everything new into motion.... we like to mix things up hahahhaa :p

ok so the plan is to get water in by mid next week, hopefully rock will be added within next few weeks.... THEN the pictures will arrive! :D

Yah!! Why did I not get that rock????????:D Looks good! Looking forward to you handy work in action. Sorry it took so long!

Salsaking

Back