The grandson strikes again

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

They either went in on monday or it was a week ago I dont know which. He was in dinsey world all last week. Wish I could say for sure. I dont think Ive ever seen clams die so fast.

Don

Man, if it was monday, that's fast! It's amazing that Cu dissolves so fast. I know on the freshwater side I've heard of people tossing pennies in their tanks to try to "dose" copper for disease and they just sit there forever. Wishing wells and the like also. I guess that the Cu really likes to bind to something in salt and go into solution.

That's so horrible.

It's tough when it's little kids, because they just don't understand. It's not like they are malicious. It reminds me of a Dennis Leary stand-up talking about finally getting the dream home theater system. He woke up in the middle of the night to one of his kids feeding the VCR a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It's one of those things where you can kind of see what they were thinking "I'll make a wish in Grandpa's favorite pool." Well, like I said, hopefully we can all take something away from this. Sucks so bad though!

Are you still going to do a clam-focussed tank with the new build, or go back to more of a mixed reef?

Josh

Are you still going to do a clam-focussed tank with the new build, or go back to more of a mixed reef?

Josh

Depends on how well I can flow the tank with just tunzes or the biggest seio's. I dont want the closed loop which is now two ampmaster 3600's. I will always have clams but I dont know how many or how big.

Don

How big is your tank?
I used one of the smallest tunze stream, 5ft tank, If i had two of the biggest I'd probably not need a CL. This was on my old 100g tank, they work really well other than they don't have all of the connections not being able to remove for cleaning etc. You can't just unplug the part that goes inside.

How big is your tank?
I used one of the smallest tunze stream, 5ft tank, If i had two of the biggest I'd probably not need a CL. This was on my old 100g tank, they work really well other than they don't have all of the connections not being able to remove for cleaning etc. You can't just unplug the part that goes inside.

Its a 5ft 110 so its narrow. I already have one of the big ones I think is 3K gph down behind the rock. I think two may be enough but time will have to tell. I cut the wires and put in a connector that makes it easy to get out and clean. May even go with two of the big 2600? seios and the controller then put the stream in a tunze rock.

Don

Another reason why I keep telling the young gals I work with.... "you really don't need to have them (kids) to have a fulfilling life" :D:D:D:D:D

Don, any way you could boil the rocks or bleach & then boild out the copper? Don't know if that would work but maybe worth a try.

Don is there anyone close that can hold your animals until this is handled? Damn! There is a add with someone tearing down a tank in Seattle with Live Rock. I believe 200lbs worth. Give me a call if there is something I have you need. I have extra a extra sump, charcoal, Diatom filter, a 50 gallon breeder sitting around. My brother in law lives by ya.
send me a email if you need something.
[email protected]
your friend,
Ed
tried PM'ing you but your box is full. Mind directing me in the general area of this person? I'm just trying to get an idea of price.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I have cleared my PM box a little. I think I'm just going to ride this out with water changes. I'm doing another 80g tonight and I'll just do them every few days for now. The tank will be getting a overhaul with the new stand anyways so I think I will start ordering Marco rocks and do a custom aqua scape in all dry rock all pre set up and bonded together. I'll just mooch a rock to seed when the time comes and slow cycle the tank so the fish wont be affected. My big clam seems to still be alive but is gaping badly I could probably fit my foot in there.

Don

That's a bummer Don...yeah, I bet the kid thought it was a great big wishing well, I've heard of that happening many times before....

My son is six now, so he knows better than to mess with my reef tank, but since it was set up before he was born, I had to child proof it as best I could...I installed those child saftey latches on the doors to underneith the stand, that way he was not able to open them and mess with anything in there, you may want to do that...they are cheap and easy to install, and they work pretty well with the younger kids...

On the poisoning of your tank, I agree, lots of water changes....and I'd use lots and lots of carbon, changing it out pretty frequently...but I'm guessing you are already doing the carbon as well....

MikeS

That stinks Don. I'm very sorry. :(

Next halloween, dress him up as a girl. :D

No way it take all I have to get him to act like a boy. Between my housefull of girls and his girly dead beat father, Ive got my work cut out for me.:lol:

Don

Look at it this way, your tank has been treated for ich with copper now

I guess. I just need to decide what to do with the monster clam. If he dies completely its really going to pollute the tank and possibly kill what I do have left. I dont want to just take him to another tank and pollute someone elses tank. Moving him I'm sure would be the final straw. I cant seem to bring myself to just pulling him out to be euthanized. Not real sure he'd be good eatin. JK:) We will see how it looks in the morning after another water change.

Don

With all your tanks and stuff laying around, set up a one-clam nano. There are many including myself who would loan you some live rock for the interim of your final tank set up..

With all your tanks and stuff laying around, set up a one-clam nano. There are many including myself who would loan you some live rock for the interim of your final tank set up..

Actually I got home tonight and the big one is no longer gaping but is not open all the way. The last durasa is looking super. I'll just keep changing water. Ive got 14 more buckets of IO hear and 3 or 4 more at work. I'm going to go get 2 more 44g brutes so I can nip this in the bud. I'll go without rock if need be but there is no way the big clam will fit in a tank smaller than what I have.

Don

crap don that sux, sorry to hear that..

Dont part out just yet.

just woundering if it was 1 Penny Or several? (u said you didnt know if it was a day or a week)

OMG, that probly happened like immediately.

god dude Im so sorry to hear that.... I wish you luck

I know you will recover

Back