The joys of finally getting the right fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeffnewt

Barred Morey
Well, I finally got a foxface today. Its been about 6 months or more in the precess of selecting a fish for the tank, to go with the single blue damsel and the barred morey that decided to move downstairs and set up shop permenently in the sump.

What is exciting about this, and very forflling, is that I waited a long time before adding a decent sized fish to this tank. Almost to a fault in fact. But after working with clients that would never shut up about what "more" they might "get away with", its nice to know I have theroretically got my reef into a near perfect balance.

The plan was to only add one medium fish to go with the damsel and the eel, and the inverts, and have this tank as much of a realistic reef as possible. I was always scratching my head when I would walk into a job to clean a tank and be staring at a seemingly endless parade of fish. To some it must have looked great, but for me it seemed ridiculous.

For my own tank, I was staying with a 60, and I wanted to build a scaled down reef, not scaled up bucket o life. It was about a month or so ago, when the 5 diffrent types of vegitation started to turn my tank into some type of vegan nightmare, did I realize I needed a predator for all this junk.

So I now think I have the ideal situation- medium ammount of rock, huge fuge, 1 medium herbivore, 1 small fish, eel, the cleanup crew, Very hardy SPS, LPS, Zoas, coral shrimp, and an emerald crab. Looks great and above all else, I can manage it on a budget of about 30-50 a month before power and water bills. No formula variety pack, no huge manditory water changes.

And that foxface must think he has died and gone to heaven, he was "sampling" the kelp 20 seconds after ploping in the tank,:D

not yet- later today hopefully. I want to get a before and after. Not of just the tank either, he's gonna get fat. :badgrin:

Congrats Foxfaces are way under appreciated!!! It was one of my first fish and he is doing great. They are bullet proof once established. Visitors to my house always love him. Good luck with him. Regards, Tim

Back