the neverending Salt topic

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fijiwigi

I know that the best Salt for use in your aquarium is definately debatable and there are many different opinions of which salt is better. I am new to this site and am wanting to know which salt all of you use and the reason why behind your choice. I use ReefCrystals although It is low on Calcium, I am planning to supplement Kalkwasser when I start adding corals. Otherwise I believe it to be a well-balanced ReefSalt. I am sure some agree or disagree every has a right to there own opinion. I just want to know why you choose the Salt that you use, whats your reason?

Funny you say that because I have been using RC & find it fairly close on the CA, mixing at 35ppt it comes around 400ppm.
At what salinity do you mix it at?

Been doing these salts questions a long time & can't give you a straight answer LOL.
I have a few favs. yea, & a few I'd not prefer but for the most part you can make them work, maybe stick away from the lower end salt mixes but the rest should be fine.

BTW, IO & RC IMO work well for me.

Tm pro and tm regular i mix it up.... i hover about 415 with Ca and 2.5 meg/l

There were tons of polls done here on salt and Instant Ocean always seems to be the top choice. My favorite as well :)

dont forget that your mixing procedure can make or break your new batch of water... if the walls of your mixing container look chalky, you're not getting the full potential from your salt and you are either adding the salt too quickly, not agitating the water properly, or the water temperature is way out of range (salt mixes best between 72 and 80 degrees IME)

the RC comes in at 360 usually at 1.023 SG from what I have experienced I am on my second bucket of it.

Is this a FO tank or do you keep corals? Reason why I ask Is because your on the lighter side & probably should bump it up some for corals If that is your plan, also what are you testing the CA with?

There has been alot of issues with RC comming in low on CA lately. I dont know if it was cured or not. I prefer IO but I'm cheap and dont mind bumping up the ca and mg.

Don

Well I just got a bucket & it mixed out to around 400ppm, I ordered the last few buckets & Dr. Fosters cheaper than I can get locally, even IO & on their site it is only a $1.40 difference.

I have been using oceanic for 3 yrs but I like the LOOK and the Results of a tanks using Instant Ocean so After This Bucket I am GOING TO IT !

thats crazy I thought instant ocean was a not so popular low end salt. Yet it seems to be the favorite so far. Is it the favorite only because of the cost or the levels that is mixes to? I pay the extra bucks for Reef Crystals because it is suppose to be a better salt for reef it is still made by the same company as instant ocean as far as I know?

And I am planning to add a Kalkwassser drip once I start with corals, Probably in 2months or so.

Back