the new tank for christmas!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

swifter

Hey Y'all,

I just thought I would say something on here about my new tank. I will be working to get it set up and running over the next month. My Fiance bought for me a 200 gallon custom tank with an overflow built in for christmas (this was a huge step from the 60 gallon we got last year).

the goal ultimately is to have a 200 gallon reef set up. I am working on getting the stand built first.

My biggest question for the stand is; What should I have it built out of? If i'm right the tank all said and done should weigh somewhere near 2,000 pounds and I'm hesitant to put that much weight on a wood stand. if you have any opinions of what is best for the stand feel free to write. as I get some more free time, I'll upload pics of the build.

Swifter, Congrats on the new tank! Your stand can be built out of wood, or steel. Either way if build right you will have no problems. We build both, and if you have any questions or idea's, were all ears, Jason

Thanks and I'm glad to hear it. I'll be asking around quite a bit for the next few days. I think I am leaning towards something more functional right now and then when we buy our house we will put this tank in the wall. as far as a steel tank, any ideas what it would cost to have a steel tank made for it that I could still Mount the Sump Underneath?

Congrats on the new tank and awsome fiance for getting it for you. Can't wait for the build thread with LOTS of pics.

Very sweet!!! Congrats and what a great fiance!
What are the dimensions? That is going to be a great size for a reef set up. You will love all the room for aquascaping.
Looking forward to your build thread.

you should just need 2" square tube. without the foot print and the hight that you want the bottom of the tank to sit. we can't really tell you the price. and can you weld. and have a welder.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Last edited:
I don't have the dimensions on hand but I know it is roughly 5 feet wide by 2 feet deep and about 3 or 3.5 feet tall. and I will definitely have a build thread.

as for the stand any idea on the cost difference between steel frame and a wood stand?

i'm pretty excited about it. I'm a little anxious to get started on it and a little apprehensive (as I have never had a Sump/Overflow to set up).

on a side note, is there anything specifically I should be using for the PVC pipe to and from the tank? is there a sealant that is more "fish safe"?

thanks

as in pvc glue? no not really there are some that need longer cure time. if you can, I would let any glue that I use cure for as long as possible. so 24 hours ish. and that way you know that its all safe and leak free.

so is the 3'-3.5' the hight of the tank or how high that you want it off the floor.?

When I put mine together, I used the purple primer and the grey, which I think is medium pvc cement.
It will take you long enough to put it together that it will be cured before you add water. I was really nervous about filling a 180 gal tank in the house before testing all the fittings for leaks. But "knock on wood" no leaks.....scares me saying that! LOL.

3-3.5 feet is how tall the tank is. I'm not to picky about how tall overall it is. I just need to make sure there is enough room in the stand for a SUMP set up.

If I were you I would find the largest glass tank that would fit in your stand... say less 12''.... if your DT is 60'' then a 48'' glass tank with acrylic, or glass baffles would work as the sump. You should think about an ATO holding tank down there also. You will lose approx 3/4 to 1 gal per day.

How exciting for you. Take your time and research. It will pay off down the road!!

Wood or steel will hold the weight! Steel would be my choice. Remember, design it so you can use it when you go in wall!!

Thanks for the advice and what is an ato holding tank? As for the sump I think I'm going to buy a 60 gallon tank (used) and convert it in to a sump. As for the baffles, where can I get some inexpensive acrylic and what should I use to seal the baffles to the glass?

roughly how much will the acrylic and sealer cost?

Tap plastics right there on 196th in lynnwood will have what ever you need for acrylic. With it being in a large tank for the sump, and the amount of water it will flow thru it, it will be stressed, so you want to get a thicker sheet of acrylic. I would probably go with at least 3/8". I also used standard aquarium silicone to secure mine. I built mine into a 50B. I think I used 1/4" and it bows just a little. Glass would be a better to use for the baffles, but more expensive. Actually it might be better in the long run to use glass.

It would be much better to use glass for the baffels, if using a glass sump. use RVT 100 series silicone. You can get the silicone at Grainger or Nappa Auto Parts. Approx. $7 for a tube You will only need 1 tube.

An ATO holding tank is a freshwater top off tank.
The cost of glass vs acrylic will be minimal. If using acrylic with a glass tank you should cut the width of the acrylic baffels 1/16" less than the overall width of the glass tank to allow for the acrylic to expand.

If you know how to weld, and have access to a machine, i would build it out of steel. I have a 215g that has a wood stand. Its frame is made with 2x6 doubled up. It isnt anything special. Its plenty strong enough to hold the weight. Nobody has mentioned it, but if you do use wood for the stand, use a GOOD wood sealer for when you so spill water on it. It will also help with the humidity inside the stand when the doors are closed. Also, when you do decide on your sump setup, leave some room for equipment like your return pump, reactor(s), storing food/cleaning equipment/test kits...stuff. As for glue for the pvc, i used hot blue glue. It sealed up real good without using that messy purple primer.

Back