The Polario..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I believe one guy in SLC has a prepoduction unit, but as far as I know they are not available yet. Hopefully they will be by next month, but you all know how slow RIO/TAAM can be. How many months did we hear about the SEIO controller before it actually came to market?

Kim

And knowing how Rio/Taam is, be prepared to be disappointed as with all of their stuff.

Ah Words from a true Maxi Jet fan, lol. :D

I sent Tamm Inc a message today inquiring about their pump.

Here is reply I got from Tamm Inc.
----------------------------------------------

We are finally in production, check your local dealer as everything is pre-sold.

Kevin Shiotani
Tamm Inc.
Commodity Axis Inc.

I want to try one Don. Maybe two of them. I figure if I can keep my parameters stable. I could keep it running for a bit. Most power heads lock up when there are fast changes in Alk/Calcium. I am looking forward to being a guinea pig. I welcome the chance with my(Susie's) 300 gallon cube. :D

Ok, I did it. I purchased one. I will try to give you a update of performance. The reviews I read were that the controller has a fan on it that is kind of annoying. I got the larger one of the two or 5500 gallons per hour unit. I should have it within one week.

Man..... All i see is RIO.....RIO.....RIO...... its sending up red flags.... the unit looks interesting... let us know how it does..

Rio pumps are not that bad. Lots and lots have been sold, I think that is one of the reasons that you see quite a few failures in them. But the SEIO pumps have been pretty good so far, and I think the Polario's will be pretty good as well.

Kim

Cool. I wonder if this will be good to place in the back middle of your tank. It would be good at moving the detrtus around back there. Can you post a video of how if operates when you get it.

Man..... All i see is RIO.....RIO.....RIO...... its sending up red flags.... the unit looks interesting... let us know how it does..

Mike,
I spent a lot of time researching what causes pumps to lock up. Rio's do have a bad rep for that. When there is crystalization in your pumps usually from dosing or fast chemical reaction the weaker pumps lock up.

External pumps have a few flaws. When they fail they usually cause flooding. They usually use twice the energy to function. When a large pump fails it usually a pretty good bit of plumbing to prevent futher leaks. 5800 gph flow for 480 watts.

Internal pumps can be a time bomb when they do lock up. They can release copper and other unwanted materials in your tank. They can short circuit easier. They require more work cleaning with preventive measures. Its usually a bath in vineger or Muratic acid and rinse.

The pros of powerheads. They are moveable. They can opperate independently. Much less energy consumption. Todays powerheads have improved due to increase in Technoligy. More and more powerheads are being able to be timed with devices to provide alternating flow. 5500 gph of alternating flow for 50 watts.

Last edited:
Like a clickin when on and off? hmm sound seio to me

After a few presentations from Jake Adams. I can set them for about every 15 or longer per side. No worries on that. The controller noise is a concern for me. :) My Ice Cap fans should hide that noise. :)

Back