The Super Spec II, SPS dominant

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I really love this bulb but I would like to replace one of the whites with a red and perhaps a neutral white and 4500k ish to make it more full spectrum. As it is though I love the color and adjust ability of the bulb but i want to make sure I can get the most colors out of the SPS. I have kept the color close to 20k because I've always been pleased with the color of SPS from 20K metal halide bulbs. It is funny you mention the 7.5 gallon cube as that is what I'm thinking will be the successor of this spec for the grow out.

I am not really looking to grow SPS but would love to see good growth from the softies and LPS I plan to get. I have it pretty damn well thought out muhahaha! List of corals I plan to get are:

Lps: Acans, blastos maybe a plate coral and some cany cane
softies: ric. shrooms (mainly them), duncans, one maybe two different zoas (for sure whammin watermelon zoas), pom pom xenia, and gsp if it fits.

If your having good results with the sps it really is encouraging. I was planning to do a diy led all on a dimmable driver with 4 royal blue, 2 cool white, 1 neutral, 1 warm white, and 1 violet uv. All on a 6x6 heat sink. I will keep on trying to decide on which one. Thanks for the reply, really helps to get feedback on led lights.

Yeah the tank has been up for over 10 days now and no color loss on the SPS so far but like I said i've kept it VERY blue and have been increasing brightness 1 step every 7 days.

I only have a few things left to hammer out like a clean up crew. But other then that its just a matter of pulling it all together. Hopefully I can throw up a thread when I get to building!

The only thing that concerns me with the bulb is that is has 30degree lenses. While I am sure that the intensity is enough, it would have to hang 1-2ft above the tank. If I can find how to dim the rapidled par38 bulb I might also consider it.

Just playing around.

IMG_95211280x1227_zpscef034e4.jpg

IMG_95131075x1280_zps9c209edb.jpg

IMG_95351280x853_zpsec25ceeb.jpg

IMG_95271280x853_zps09e63883.jpg

Thanks, I gotta replace the one on the bottom right though hoping to find an encrusting SPS to replace it with I'm looking for a setosa. I bought a tiny vertex simplex magnet cleaner and it just barely squeeks by the lower right coral.

Tank looks pretty good, more of a soft coral guy. Although the huge colonys of sps can be impressive, I don't have 5 years to devote to a tank haha.

after a few hours of searching for other par38 bulbs I have found a really promising bulb! Luckily it has a choice of a 1 or 3 year guarantee. Full spectrum and everything :eek:. Gonna have to keep a close eye on both lamps.

Hey Shawn, here is an idea... move the bottom coral up to where the Milli is, Milli up to where Pocillopora is so it can table out (plus they love higher light and water movement) and Pocillopora down to bottom since it grows in bush/ball shape. Just a thought....

Cheers, Todd

Moved some stuff to be a bit more practical for the growth patterns of the coral. The top left pink pocillipora got removed and a green millipora took its place. The bottom right coral got removed and an montipora spongodes took its place. the left bottom SPS will probably get replaced tomorrow. I just want to make sure things can last in this tank for a bit and it may take a bit of refinement.

Update as I have moved/replaced some corals to be more practical for how they will grow. I got a Setosa finally, I have wanted one for a very long time :)

FTS 2/6/13

IMG_95511067x1280_zps33f62d0e.jpg

IMG_95761280x853_zps01a989d5.jpg

Back