This rock is insane!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cowgirldani

horses - koi - reef
So yesterday, we drove up to Will's Reef Mystique, and picked up 200lbs of the craziest rock I have ever seen. This rock was just encrusted with coraline, mostly purple, but lots or red, green, and pinks. Healthy macro, tons of feathers. We were so excited going through this batch! Some of the best pieces were two pieces that had hundreds of zoanthids, and they are opening up now showing at least 4 varieties. Will get pictures up once they are all opened up. Some had numerous shrooms. Its all the fun going through with a flashlight and seeing what all is in there. Here are a few pictures I took while dad was searching for critters (the good, the bad, and the ugly) and the unpacking. Best of all - it doesnt stink, its cured.

P1050965.jpg

P1050991.jpg

P1060023.jpg

P1050999.jpg

P1060022.jpg

P1060024.jpg

Depending on coral amounts on it, ranged from 7.99-12.99. I just gotta say this was worth every dime. There were multiple other pieces I recall that were incredible, but we ran outa cash! We wanted to take it all home. lol

The rock looks great! Congrats on some nice stuff.... I would still be careful considering it "fully cured". If you treat it as needing to be cured you cannot go wrong. If you treat it as cured, it could cause you issues if it's not. JMHO. D

Yea we are taking precaution, just to be safe - especially at this amount of rock. The new tank doesnt come for a few weeks, so it is downstairs in a seperate system while we redo everything else.

Welcome to RF Dani !!nice rock!! keep us posted after you add it to your tank!!

When I originally set up my tank last march a majority of the rock I used was from Will at Reef Mystique. While it is great rock and the rock I got was extremely porous you will still have a cycle to some degree. I had no initial cycle but a lesser longer lasting one a few months after the tank was up. I have added things to my tank at a very slow pace and still have a drastically under stocked tank.

I would keep an eye out for crabs.

Thanks Ron! I used to use the dads goby2004, but he said I made a 40 year old guy sound wierd so I said fine Ill make my own! Its nice, I have freedom lol :D

haha thanks but I do have to pay for part of the horse related stuff, no car, reef is dads, koi well I help pay for those too... work work work! lol but its all worth it! helps me get ready for the future... :rolleyes: plus you get more satisfaction when you do good :p

There are many days where I want to throw my rock out for new rock.

Well that is some rock I would replace my tank with!
NICE!

sweet rock, wouldnt mind of that myself:D

you got yourself into some pretty expensive hobbies there! have fun with that!lol

haha yea but I wouldnt have any of it if I didnt help pay... lol Plus, keeps me out of trouble lol

So heres an update!! Halides are up, skimmer is skimmin away - about half the zoas are open, and need help identifying the varieties! Total newbie in that area... :oops: Also, pics of the setup in the basement. Enjoy!

These pics are from last night

P1060078.jpg

P1060075.jpg

P1060076.jpg

And today!

From what I can see, ive got ones that are:

- green skirts with blue centers yellow mouths and lime green speckles
- brown skirts with dark brown centers and red mouths
- brown skirts with pink mouths
- green skirts with green centers and yellow speckles all around

I could only get this good picture, the others are harder to get due to where they are on the rock - will move them around and get more pictures later

P1060092.jpg

P1060095.jpg

P1060080.jpg

P1060097.jpg

P1060096.jpg

Last edited:
That is one of the sumps, we have another that isnt up right now. Took it out to do some mods... :)

New display tank is on its way from Jason at Clear Fabrications! :D

Back