time to drain the tanks and call it quits

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ngreenaway

Last night's death toll is nearly 100%,& I'm not entirely sure why, but I can't keep throwing money into this, and keep killing fish. If I had enough posts, I'd start putting gear up for sale, but I'm still too new to the forum to do so.

Hate to see anyone give up, but I do understand frustration.
Maybe you should do a write up of what has been happening. There are some really smart folks here who might be able to offer some insight, even if all you take away is lessons for when/if you are ready to try again.

We all have times like your feeling some of us more than other's....lol:) Take a step back for awhile let your tank run on copilot see if you don't feel different in a few days. Its a hard hobby sometimes we want what that guy/girl has but without the path it took them to get there.

agreed, we all feel like that once in a while. Definitely post your experience. what is happening. there are a lot of people in the area that are willing to help. we just need to know what is happening.

Just to add.. if you are breeding discus (which I believe I read previously), you got this. You likely just need a pointer here or there. The hardest part about this hobby is the losses, and patience. If you have the latter, you can avoid the bulk of the former.

Dude I just lost a $100+ fish. Talk about bein down in the dumps about the hobby!

Not sure where browns point is but maybr we can get someone out to u.
Agreed. Post up a build thread/diary.
D

Ok, so it may look like the death toll isn't as bad as it looked at 5 am. I'm used to things looking worse that early- I used to light up my freshwater tanks at 4 before going to work, but in light of my sudden problems last night it was easy to jump to the conclusion that virtually all the fish were dead - not just inactive but dead. So, I may be in the hobby a little while yet, if I could get someone to come by for some intensive coaching. Browns point is part of Tacoma, but its really more like a part of federal way than it is Tacoma. I'll write up a sequence of events later, I'm on my phone cuz I'm not at my regular work site and don't have computer access (even phone reception is spotty in the classroom)

Definitely too early to call it quits. There are SO many other dieases/parasites/pests that you haven't had to chance to meet yet! :)
Looking at some of your other posts, was it just phosphate that you were struggling with? was the rock in there cured completely?

oh, and i just wanted to follow up with one more thing. i've been on plenty of forums where they just call the new guy and idiot and make them feel stupid for choices they've made. that is NOT this group. folks here understand there are many ways and theories behind running tanks, and you will very rarely if ever see something that isn't constructive. we've all had tough tank times, but if it weren't for the benefit of some great people willing to lend an ear, we'd all have had a LOT more of them...

im down to help. i have been running reef tanks for 15 years or so. first off i think you need to let us know about your system. how big of a tank. what brand and size skimmer. what size return pump and so on. let us know how often you do water changes. how much water do you do in a water change. what brand of salt do you use. we are all here to help

Yeah....give us something to work with...I am also game to stop by and see what we can come up with.

i appreciate everyones response, perhaps this may help:
from a previous thread, some of you may know i decided to rebuild my sump which fell apart shortly after starting up. this tank had previously been run without a sump, with no end to problems...(the reasons why we took that approach are a long post in and of itself, and too much of a tangent for here)
so sometime last week i drain the sump, putting the cheato and live rock from the fuge into a separate holding tank, filled with water from the sump. this tank was not heated. a bag of chemipure and one of phosguard was put into another tank and allowed to dry (no particular reason for that, i couldve just as easily thrown it in with the live rock&cheato)
after drying out the 55 gal tank, i siliconed my 1/4" baffles into the tank and let everything cure for 48 hours.
following that, i had added 30 gallons of RO water + salt and a small recirculating pump. i allowed 24-36 hours of time for the salt to dissolve and the water to heat up
the tanks salt level was high- approaching 1.03 and the sump was about 1.023. i included some fresh RO water to help even out the salinity somewhere in the middle
shortly after my sump "went live" i placed the live rock into the sump as well as 20 ml of marin fauna ultra algaex . this is the dosage for 100 gallons (approx the amount in the tank and sump). ive posted pics of the level of algae im plagued with elsewhere. i also added the chemipure (which probably promptly removed the ultra algaex)and phosguard.
the previous day i had done a water change somewhere between 30-40% (i cant remember which) and up until this point(trying to remove phosphates), all fish were acting normally
several hours after i started up the sump, my room mate went down to get something from the basement, and came up to let me know there was something wrong with the tank
i went down to find virtually all fish in obvious distress, some panting very rapidly
the first casualty was my flame angel- it was laying on its side, breathing shallowly. i bagged it up and tried acclimating it to known good water in another tank. it didnt make it
shortly after, my coral beauty had gone from frantically swimming to being too weak to swim away from a tunze powerhead (the smallest of the turbelles). i tried taking that one upstairs and trying to acclimate it to the coral tank, but again, it was too late
what may be the next death (its still hanging in there, but still panting and its breathing is very labored) is my lavender tang, who was sitting with its belly on the bottom of the tank, still upright but unable to swim
other fish were discolored when visible (such as a starry blenny which turned yellow)
at this point i cut off the sump, and tested the water..nitrates 0, ph 8.2 but phosphates were showing 2 on the api test (IIRC) and ammonia was .5 ppm (the silicone mentioned releasing ammonia and methane during the curing process, but i didnt even put water in the sump till it had 2 days curing time and and additional day or day and a half of having water recirculating thru it, so it had 3-3.5 days to off-gas that ammonia)
i did an emergency water change, i had 30 gallons of RO water, but it was sitting at 58 degrees, so i put every water heater i own into a 5 gal bucket and 1kw of heating power (8.3 amps according to every electricians friend, georg ohm) would bring 5 gallons of cold water up to 75-80 deg. within 10 minutes or so. theoretically, this should reduce the concentration of whatever the root cause is by the percentage of water changed, and when i went to bed, everyone seemed to be doing better
as of 5 this morning, everyone looked dead, and like i mentioned, im no stranger to what early morning tanks look like but within the context of the previous nights issues and the fact i was running late to work and couldnt investigate the problem as much as i wouldve liked to, i could only conclude i woke up to a dead aquarium. the only one showing any signs of life were the two clowns (acting normal) and lavender tang (acting much worse..breathing much more labored and color now gone)
later my room mate confirmed everyone survived the night, so i came home and did another ammonia test and 30 gallon water change. surprisingly, my ammonia test *still* showed .5 ppm (either theres an issue with the test, or something in the tank is generating far more ammonia than ever before. my live rock is a mix of cured LR and dead rock, but these issues came on over a period of just a few hours) . my ro water showed 0 ppm, and oddly enough, freshly mixed saltwater showed races, perhaps .25 ppm or more. i struggled through chemistry class so my understanding is better than "the tests are black magic" but not a whole lot better than that. still it doesnt seem like the reagents should be different between freshwater ammonia tests and saltwater ones. nh3/nh4 is nh3/nh4. still, i could be wrong about that)
so, yea, i changed out 30 gallons this evening. my fish arent out of the woods yet, but most look like theyll make it. both tangs are taking this particularly hard though.
hoping to see better days and everyone still alive tomorrow. hope i didnt forget any details

my best guess is when you removed the sump with live rock and macro's you removed too much of the biofilter at once causing the ammonia spike. Do you have any ammonia blocker? skimmer is online right?

Yup sounds.like ur changing to much.water.
Agree we need to know mo. Answer reefermans q's.

Also when u leveled out ur salinity. U should do it gradually. I like how u shot for the middle. But really should leave it b. B amazed how good a tank will do if ran in autopilot for awhile. U wanna raise ur salt? Top off with ur sw not ro or rodi. Wanna lower ur salt? Take a cpl cups out and add fresh every cpl days. Don't add any algaeX or watever ur dosing.
Any carbon or chemi pure will work. Cheaper is better.imo. it all absorbs.
Change it out weekly. Do a montly wc of 10-25%
Hths
D

add 1 more to the dead, my little lavender tang. not a pretty fish, but i really liked it. died with very little color, very reddened gill covers, and some of his fins showed fraying , or disintegration of all the skin between the rays.

ill post more info in the morning, thanx for helping me work thru this one

Wow!!! Sorry to hear all the losses you've had, but this hobby comes with many of those especially in the beginning. Gosh, I remember my first fowlr tank over 10 yrs ago and all the things I rushed, did wrong, or wish I did to prevent so many losses of livestock and $$$. I'm just now following your thread, but what else is left alive for fish, corals, or inverts...??? Not sure if starting over a slow, steady, and well designed tank is better. I'm near the fed-way area and can stop by and give some helpful suggestions and possible solutions to this frustrating problem of yours. Be strong and happy reefing will surely be in near sight buddy :angel:

Back