time to drain the tanks and call it quits

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I don't remember a post noting specific algae problems, (but, my memory sucks, and I didn't take the time to view your older posts) but algae is just a given in a new tank. It needs to burn itself out. While you want to keep it in check with water changes/gfo/manual removal, you are fighting a battle and it is just going to take a while to win, trying to rush it rarely helps. I don't see that you listed tank size or how long its been setup, but those would be useful in helping to advise on moving forward... In a tank under a year, I (personally) wouldn't be looking at chemical solutions (ultra algaex), just because I've seen enough posts noting that folks have killed bio filters with them, and they don't do much to treat the root cause regardless. I don't know if this added to your issues or not, I don't think there isn't a good way to know that. I agree with others though that something probably killed the bio-filter off at least partially, and once that starts, it can be a snowball effect. I also wouldn't rule out some reaction between the ultra algaex and the phos gaurd, but I don't know anything about that treatment, so it might be plenty safe.
The biggest thing I'd like to note about everything you said, and one of the things we've probably all done, is to make too many changes at once. Sometimes its just the logical thing too do, like adding the algae stuff at the same time as you brought the sump online, and trying to adjust salinity also. Its likely a lot of the time that you could have pulled all that off without a hitch, the problem is those 'other' times. You are left with too many culprits to determine the cause, and while the cause may not effect the fix, since more often than not we are left with water changes being our best/only solution, an understanding of what happened may help to determine if there are other possible routes, and at the very least give you a heads up as to what not to do next time.
You noted a couple of tangs. I'm not going to go 'tang police' on you, especially when I don't have any idea what size tank you have, but do want to note that they are heavy bio-load fish.. lots of waste. And they are also oxygen hogs, likely because of how actively they swim when healthy.. when they have problems, IMHO the first thing you want to do is anything you can to over oxygenate the water. (power head pointed at the surface, air stones, whatever you can think of) Anytime I see any issue with fish, I try to do that, regardless of them being tangs or not... Kind of like how they proactively with throw on oxygen mask on folks at the hospital, it may not be needed, but rarely is going to hurt anything.
It sounds like you may have calmed the storm for now, which is great. I'd continue with some extra water changes if it were my tank to continue to dilute whatever the problem might be, but on a smaller scale I think.. depends on the size of the tank... If the ammonia isn't under control, I wouldn't be afraid of a little amquel or prime, between water changes if necessary.
If you get some specifics posted about your current setup, folks may be able to advise more on the algae issues and help with getting that a little more under control once you've work through this...

K hard as it was, I stayed pretty much hands off with the tank tonight. I added some mature cured live rock and a handful of my cheato. Didnt get time at the computer this evening, but I'll address the rest of the questions so you guys have the full picture. At this point I'm curious if anything killed off my beneficial bacteria, or the possibility that the ultra algaex did too good of a job on my extensive algae bed, and the large scale die-off released enough crud back into the water to upset my parameters. For now, here's a pair of pics of my set up, until I have a chance to go into detail. The cheato hadn't yet been weighted down into place, and while the sump isn't running I have an air pump and a remora as a life support system.not comfortable bringing the sump back online again until I can determine if it had anything to do with the event which caused so much havoc or if it was merely coincidental.

DSC_0130.jpg here is the tank as it stands at the moment. It's measure than normal at the moment due to the maintenance of the past few days

DSC_0134.jpg the sump resides outside of the stand because the forefront stand really didn't allow that large of a tank to be used inside. It's ugly outside of the stand, but makes work easier. The rock in the center of the sump actually belongs in the tank, but the ultra algaex suggested removing the cheato that would normally reside there

bare bottom tank( no biological fitlration there). killed off algea( huge biofilter) and removed live rock. To me I'm 100% thats what did it!

Hope in some way that makes you feel better knowing that at least, you probably have found the problem.

I may have led you down a rabbit hole by saying the rock in the fuge belongs in the tank, It's formerly live rock that was allowed to completely dry out and has been sitting in the fuge to grow some bacteria. The massive algae die off was nuisance algae rather than algae I added for the sake of filtration

I think I see six fish in that picture, looks like a 75 bowfront? You had multiple tangs on top of the fish that I can see?
To me that seems like a really heavy bio-load, even if it wasn't a new tank.

As stated before, we all make mistakes. The solution to excess algae is not by algaecides which kills a large part of the tanks filtration, it is removing the cause of the excessive growth. This is accomplished by patient tank maintenance such as good skimming, water changes, and feeding control. Nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank, and most artificial solutions speeds up the bad.

As stated before, we all make mistakes. The solution to excess algae is not by algaecides which kills a large part of the tanks filtration, it is removing the cause of the excessive growth. This is accomplished by patient tank maintenance such as good skimming, water changes, and feeding control. Nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank, and most artificial solutions speeds up the bad.

this is where I really miss the "like" button" you can simply agree with an opinion rather that post.

I may have led you down a rabbit hole by saying the rock in the fuge belongs in the tank, It's formerly live rock that was allowed to completely dry out and has been sitting in the fuge to grow some bacteria. The massive algae die off was nuisance algae rather than algae I added for the sake of filtration

the aglea decides how much it will filter. kill it and loose some biofilter. those lost bacteria will need time to increase in amounts in other places.

If i know I am going to do some major cleaning, sump etc, and first off I don't clean everthing at once either, but I will not feed the day before and even after If I feel I may have removed alot of the biofilter. Iv'e had bacteria blooms lasting a few hours to half day after even what I thought was regular maintainance.

What really took me by surprise is the seemingly sudden onset of the issue. That morning, the fish were doing fine....by the afternoon I was doing everything I could to try to keep everyone alive. It seems the tank is recovering, no more losses but I can't say the tank is thriving yet. Only time will tell

So I'm bringing up the sump today since it sounds like nothing in it is the culprit, though I am filling it with newly mixed saltwater ( which leaves me with no emergency reserve of RO till tomorrow but I don't want to pump in water from last weekend's disaster) the sump is a 55 gallon tank with 2x 4" filter socks, a headlights skimmer (a Tia 1220 I think) a center section of live rock and a couple handfuls of cheato and an eheim 1260 return pump. I'm leaving out the chemipure and phosguard as the consensus is to just let the tank do its thing and to reduce possible problem culprits

The tank itself is an 80gal bowfront with live rock, some of it a year old, some mature cured live rock and some dead rock that's been in the tank for a month or so. Powerheads are from tunze, the heater is a fluval e300. Currently running a remora skimmer while the sump was down

And finally livestock includes a blue tang, a pair of clowns, a couple bar gobies, a starry blenny and a sandsifter goby. most of these fish will at some point be moved out to a much larger tank so it is a transient population. There are very few corals, a leather., a few palys, and a dragon's soul favia.

You lost a couple tangs in the process, didn't you? Sure seems to me like a pretty big bio load for that tank size.. kind of verifies (in my mind) the nuked bio filter theory in that it wasn't going to take much to start a snowball down the hill with a large bio load.
Let us know how it goes with putting the sump back online.

It's too early to call it but last night things seemed to be running alright. This past week is really showing on the blue tang- but hopefully it clears up as water quality continues to improve, no major emergencies last night after bringing the sump online and at 5am, everyone was hidden in the live rock but I'm assuming they're alright,eager to put this debacle behind me. The losses were a coral beauty, a flame Angel, and a small lavender tang. I had lost a yellow tang before those three came along, it had been living in the tank with the blue tang for quite some time before I moved the tank from Seattle to tacoma

One question I did not see asked is what kind of silicone did you use for the baffles in the tank? Many have mold and mildew inhibitors in them that are toxic to fish.

My ammonia appears to be creeping back up to .5ppm. The tank looks fairly distressed and the algae on the live rock shows quite a bit of pearling. Here's a pic of my params:DSC_0137.jpg. My biggest concern is the blue tang, since we've had it the longest- on one hand I want to pull it out and put it into a quarantine tank to reduce the bioload in the tank while the biofilter catches up, but on the other hand, that's a completely uncycled tank and I can't see that going well

Back