Time Zone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Almondsaz

I have a male leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris) and he has been on a different time zone since I got him 5 weeks ago. He is up at 4:30am and then burried by 10:00am or so. I am concerned because I want to make sure he eats and I don't feed in the am but have since I got him to ensure he is healthy. Is there anything I can do to get him on the right time zone? He burries in the middle of the aquascape so "waking him up" is impossible without redoing the tank.

It can be related to the type of lighting as well as the intensity. Can you tell us what lighting you're using and the current cycle of lighting you use.

I've read that it's actually quite common for Leopard Wrasses to stay in their normal time zone for several weeks, sleeping in our displays, until noon. I read this while doing research on a Vermiculate Wrasse, that was doing just that in my own tank. Took about a month for it to "adjust" to my tanks time zone.

I have a 72" Coralife Pro fixture. 4x96watt (2 are Actinic and 2 are Daylight) and 3x150watt MH's. I have had several of my leopards adjust but typically by week 3 they are on a normal schedule. My Potter's and female Leopard Wrasse adjusted within the first week. My biggest fear is that the male leopard will starve. I feed him every morning while he is up and he is eating, but he was hard to find....I don't want to loose him.

Understand that some just do not adjust. Not many, fortunately.

I would note the lighting when he is out and maintain that lighting through the 'wake time.' Allow some outside light into the room.

Keep feeding -- try to feed twice while the fish is up.

Burying is also a reaction to unfamiliar as well as hostile environments. Are you sure there is absolutely no other marine lifeform that is bothering the fish when it is up and about?

Lee: I am not 100% something else isn't bothering him, but he is not shy about swimming anywhere in the DT or around any of the fish. I keep an eye open for changes in behavior, but haven't noted any.

Then I would say, cross your fingers. I have no other suggestions other than to hope the fish will find its new groove.

You might encourage it to stay out a bit longer if you can plan one of the feedings right at the time the fish usually goes under. Feed it at that time to encourage it to stay out and eat.

Lee: thanks for the help, that is what I shall try and do. Already fed him once this am...will watch him around 10:30 when he seems to bury and feed him again. Appreciate the help.

Update: the male leopard is doing fine. He is still on the 'wrong' schedule, all be it his time. I feed him once at 4:00am and then right before going to work. He hasn't fattened up yet but is eating and swims all around the tank and exhibits the typical hunting behavior of a leopard. Just thought I would let you know he is doing fine. But I could do without the 4:00am feed.

Back