Timers which ones are best?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TinaPerry

I am just a little confused....I just ordered a Zilla plug strip....but after further review I am considering to cancel the order from Marine Depot..cause I have read many reviews that they are a fire hazard....it this true...or ?

is Zilla digital timers good?

or is there a better one that is easy?

any recommendations?

Thanks guys and sorry for so many topics and questions just want to get it right this time.....

Never used those ones before. I've always just used the timers you buy at a local hardware store (not the plug strip type). Guess the others will chime in soon on the Zilla ones :)

I have one of those, mine is a coralife but they are the same. It works fine. I do have it on gfi plug. It is nice because you don't have bulky timers, however it is limited. I have the dual timer one and as long as you have standard plugs it works, if you have the big converter plugs then it is not as good. I keep all power strip off the floor and away from the back of the tank, so no saltwater can short them out.

I use the one at HD that have the red and green plugs. They work for me but kinda bulky.

Go to your local Walmart store, they carry a Woods timer that is made for outside use, they are a heavy duty units rated at 15 amps and 1875 watts with a 3 prong plug and it has a plastic cover over the time setting dial. It is a roundish rectangular unit with a 12 inch pig tail heavy duty plug and wire.

Model TM-A004US1, I think they were like $10

I use a bank of the receptacle style timers from HD. I trust them a whole lot more for reliability, and safety.

Back