Timing on Ca vs Alk supplementation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

So all the Alk supplement labels I've read say not to dose it at the same time as calcium, and some people say they don't dose these on the same day.

I find that since I'm buffering all my ATO water with Reef-Builder Alk supplement, I've been holding back on adding calcium. I never know when that water will go into the sump and I don't know how big a deal it is to add both at the same time (or nearly the same time).

So how big a deal is it? Sooner or later my Calc Reactor will get set up, but until that time I am wondering....

thanks

So all the Alk supplement labels I've read say not to dose it at the same time as calcium, and some people say they don't dose these on the same day.

I find that since I'm buffering all my ATO water with Reef-Builder Alk supplement, I've been holding back on adding calcium. I never know when that water will go into the sump and I don't know how big a deal it is to add both at the same time (or nearly the same time).

So how big a deal is it? Sooner or later my Calc Reactor will get set up, but until that time I am wondering....

thanks

I wouldnt be to concerned. I would wait however long it takes your return pump to turn over your sump a few times.

Don

I dose Alk on 1 side of my tank & Ca on the other side. Both are done via Litermeter, so I'm not exactly sure of the timing, but I know they are dosed in small portions, relatively close together timing wise.

I think you just want to make sure the Alk and Ca mix with the water before they mix together themselves.

Rob

I find that since I'm buffering all my ATO water with Reef-Builder Alk supplement

There is no need for that. When water evaporates it does not take anything with it. You are just replacing H20 that has left as a gas. However, if you are also using the ATO as a dosing system to keep up with the Alk demand then that is fine, again not together. Instead of doing this have you tried kalk in the ATO, as it gives both Alk and Ca++ ?

Personally I have noticed doing Alk and Ca (using Seachem products Reef Adv. Ca for Calcium and Reef Builder for Alk) in the same day causes some strange results in Ca and Alk (using Salifert test kits) and seems to take a day or two to level out.

I once tried to "save time" and mixed the Alk and Ca supplements in the same bottle...whoa! I almost made a bomb as there was a reaction between the two and the bottle quickly filled with gas and probably would have exploded had there been a really tight seal on it...it was spraying everywhere and it was a few minutes before I could remove the lid (due to the extreme pressure in the bottle)...imagine adding vinegar to baking soda, or a Mentos to diet cola (re: Myth Busters).

Eventually I made a drip doser and alternate days adding Ca and Alk supplements (with a two day off period every seventh and eighth day) and have seen a more consistent maintenance of Ca and Alk over time. I like the idea of not "shocking" the tank so much with additives to adjust the water's properties.

Again, this is my personal experience based on monitoring my tank coupled with manufacturers notes/warnings on the bottle.

Please let me elaborate as much as I am able. I dose with B-Ionic 2 part system it is what I moved to after purple up. I follow the directions but it says right on there that this is a starting point.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated. P.S. see my antique circa 1987 or so in the water fountain. Special for the holiday.

Hi Boomer,

I have been using the dosing of ALK in the ATO water as my sole ALK replacement method. The reason I don't use Kalk is because it's messy to set up and I've heard that over time it turns your pumps and stuff white with deposits.

Ok Jan I thought maybe so. It is just we get so many people being told you have to add stuff to yoru RO/DI water, like buffers before you use it.

Deb
What's so great about Kalk as opposed to A and B Ionic?

It adds nothing extra to your tank /say. Two parts have chlorides and sodium which increase the SG/Salinity. To keep these in balance requries a 30 % WC month. Kalk is Ca(OH02), no sodium or choride. and

Ca(OH)2 ----> Ca++ + 2OH.and those 2 OH

2OH + 2CO2 = 2 HCO3 = + alk :D

So the OH "eats" up CO2 which casue pH to drop. The 2-parts do not. But what ever one needs to use or works is OK usually. The Kalk also does not require WC, not that I'm saying you can or could reduce WC. Some people use both 2-part and kalk, as some system demands can not be reached by one of these sup's

Damsel not sure what you mean by asking whats so great about Kalk compared to Bionic. They are two different animals. Bionic is used as equal parts to raise calc and alkalinity in a balanced manner. Kalkwasser doesnt raise calc per se it helps to maintain calc levels after you hit your target range with calc additives.

There are also theories that kalk also aids in PO4 control.

I find I need both Kalk (for topping off) and 2-part everyday. I always dose the Alk part first, in the return section of my sump where there's a lot of current. I clouds up as soon as I pour it in. By the time that I measure out the Ca and return to the sump, the cloudiness is gone, mixed into the tank, I presume. So I just go ahead and pour in the Ca.

This system, and watching the Magnesium levels, keep my tank in great shape.

They are two different animals.

Yes, but..........

Bionic is used as equal parts to raise calc and alkalinity in a balanced manner.

Yes but so is kalk and it is perfectly balanced but...........

Kalkwasser doesnt raise calc per se it helps to maintain calc levels after you hit your target range with calc additives.

But so are two-parts but........

Many are capable of keeping their Alk and Ca++ at proper levels using either one of these two schemes but often some systems need both. It all depends on the demand of the systems Alk and Ca++. The only side benefit of two-parts is you can use one and not the other. The ideal method would be kalk and only kalk but that often does not work just by itself. As far as kalk goes for each 20 ppm increase in Ca++ there will be an increase in the Alk of 1 meq/ l or 2.8 dKH.

Boomer,

I'd love to get to where I use kalk and kalk only. I follow the mixing instructions on the bottle but that doesn't bring Alk or Ca up to needed level. Can I/Should I consider making a stronger kalk mixture?

Measure the pH of the kalk solution. A pH of about 12.4 is max. If you are not near this you can increase it more until you achieve a pH close to this. You may not be at saturation. If you are near 12.4 then your demands my above that of using just kalk by itself.

Back