Tis a sad day

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
RF Premium Member
Something, I don't know what, decided to make my 300 gallon tank a graveyard for at least 6 large colonies. Today I set up a temporary 120 tank to house everything that I didn't think was dead. As of 4 PM today, I just got the lites on. I am hoping to find the cause of the massacre within the next couple of weeks, and then it will be on to some better thoughts.
Don't know yet if I will downsize and start up with the 180 that has been just collecting dust. I have a feeling that might be the case. I have a chance to get a couple of Tunze 6200 and a controller for about $1000, and those will be the starters. I would also make use of the 4 sea swirls that I have on the 300 now, they would be one closed loop. Wheteher I have another will depend on some opinion gathering.
I do believe it is time for some tables to start appearing. I lost "big red", but I know where I can get another one that will grow to be just like it!!!!!!!

Hi Charlie...

Hang in there buddy!! There are clowns here for ya for sure.

When, or what did you first see of this happening to your tank??

Best,
Ilham

3 weeks ago Elmo. I am thinking stray voltage. Not much, just 5 volts, but I don't have a freaking clue as to how long it has been there. I didn't think that 5 volts would do that!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, I am not sure at all that voltage was the cause, I know that I don't have any more voltage in the tank tho, I borrowed a grounding probe. I shall return, and if 50% of my corals survive, I will the happiest person on this earth.

Sorry to hear that Charlie. It is always a great loss when anyone loses something. Hope your tank bounces back.

Sorry to hear

That sucks Charlie I can't belive I have read this ! How long has your 300 been up and running 3 years?? I hope you find out the problem, I am pulling for ya ...Jeff

Something, I don't know what, decided to make my 300 gallon tank a graveyard for at least 6 large colonies. Today I set up a temporary 120 tank to house everything that I didn't think was dead. As of 4 PM today, I just got the lites on. I am hoping to find the cause of the massacre within the next couple of weeks, and then it will be on to some better thoughts.
Don't know yet if I will downsize and start up with the 180 that has been just collecting dust. I have a feeling that might be the case. I have a chance to get a couple of Tunze 6200 and a controller for about $1000, and those will be the starters. I would also make use of the 4 sea swirls that I have on the 300 now, they would be one closed loop. Wheteher I have another will depend on some opinion gathering.
I do believe it is time for some tables to start appearing. I lost "big red", but I know where I can get another one that will grow to be just like it!!!!!!!

I'm sorry that this happened charlie. It's always hard to hear tank tragedy stories, but reef frontiers and the PSAS are great and I'm sure everyone will help you bounce back from this. Don't lose hope. ;)

Wow! That sucks man. I can relate though. My tank is a hurting unit. Losing colonies left and right. It's extremely depressing to see corals you raise from frags to colonies die off. Hope you find the source and are able to turn it around.

Best of luck my friend.

Wow! That sucks man. I can relate though. My tank is a hurting unit. Losing colonies left and right. It's extremely depressing to see corals you raise from frags to colonies die off. Hope you find the source and are able to turn it around.

Best of luck my friend.

Love your new sig.:D :D :D :D
What is goin on this summer, yours is about the fifth tank that I have heard of that is goin south, There has to be something in common, somewhere????????????????????

Hope you can figure this one out Charlie! Did you remove the item, or items that was putting in the stray 5 volts? Hope you knock the problem out man, if your getting 5 volts then yea that would be a big problem, you need to find where it is coming from.

no!!!! :( ahhh man that sucks :cry: .
you should have given me a piece of your torch and hammer :p .
i hope you find what cause the tank to crash and well even though you're more of a sps guy... you know i'm always willing to share my softies :) .

Man, this is bad news. Keep us posted as to what might have gone wrong. This kind of thing makes me nervous when all you guys start having mysterious problems and have much more experience at this than me.

Back