Tis a sad day

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey, maybe cat piss conducts electricity even better than water. Could be a combination of things!

Either way, hope everything rebounds. I always hate to see threads like this.

RIP man...that really sucks teh big one.

It's almost hockey season again though so at least you'll have a distraction soon...and Jr. is still in the hunt for the Cup

well, i have many duplicate frags for a fellow brother reefferMan! i could contribute.... hope all getts better, condolances on your loss...

ive had some similar experience lately. mine was due mostly to temperature swings during the heat. my loss was small but a $160 colony and a few $30-$50 ones is a lot for me. definitely check your ammonia, and check your heaters for the stray voltage. also double check your temp meter and settings, something might have changed. "slickdonkey" very few things conduct electricity better than saltwater! when you find the stray voltage source you could put the cat in some saltwater after your next water change!

Here's a nasty thought, what would be happening in my cat was relieving itself in my sump. Aside from the fact that the animal may no longer be among the living, wouldn't that cause an ammonia spike?
Might that also explain my skimmer going absolutly nuts every other nite?

OK - I'm not sure if this is serious or not. Did you see your cat peeing in the sump? IMO, you probably have a large enough water volume and bacterial population (tons of live rock, sandbed, large tank surface area, etc...not to mention your skimmer and macroalgae) to process that ammonia pretty rapidly.

What are your water parameter numbers as of now, Charlie?

The cat peeing in the sump was just a thought, as was stated on the reply. Nikki, I haven't Checked parameters for about 10 days, I hope to get to that tonite. All the fish and other crawly critters are fine, healthy. I would love to just take a day off, and mess with the tank, but work is not going to allow that.

Charlie have you check any chemistry just asking ?? I sure hate to say this Could this been a sand bed crash? I know you & I like our sand beds?? I just cant seem to think of anything elese??

I thought about that as well Jeff because Charlie's tank is the one tank that stands out in my mind when I think of a dsb and I always picture it in my mind with the right side of the tank, deeper than the rest. I didn't mention anything about it though because he said possibly stray voltage so I left it there, but yeah...It has crossed my mind as well:)

Fish can adjust to horrible conditions if it is gradual but it seems like you have many possibilities, it would be wise to try & eliminate as many as you can regardless the outcome.

You are probably right!!! I am headed over to Spokane this weekend and we will let Dr, Kevin take a look at my water. The only test kits I owned were definitly not sufficient for this disaster. I will learn from this tho, at least I hope so. You can't go thru something like this and not learn.

I have never personally seen a DSB crash. I only heard the horror stories. I have seen a crash from stray voltage, (heater) and is was exactly like your crash sounds.

Will let Dr, Kevin take a look at my water.

Good Morning Charlie can you give us a update I hope you tank is on the road to recovery. I had a my Acropora Elseyi go RTN on me in a big way I am not sure what is causing it flow maybe? It was sitting close to my Orange Monti and i think that guy want's the whole tank I had to frag it to try saving it I hope your not in my shoes...Take care and have a good week at work! ..Jeff

You are probably right!!! I am headed over to Spokane this weekend and we will let Dr, Kevin take a look at my water. The only test kits I owned were definitly not sufficient for this disaster. I will learn from this tho, at least I hope so. You can't go thru something like this and not learn.

Not much of an update Jeff, a couple more things went white while I was in Spokane, including my Blue tort, so there isn't much left but the hydnophoras now. Gonna do a little research on calcium chloride this week, and the long term effects, but it is a real longshot.

damn man that sucks!

what were the levels at, i see your aqualog, but its not updated with the levels

we have determined that your levels were not the origanal problem?

Back